We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

weeds in lawn/weed and feed?

Options
hotcookie101
hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My grass is full of weeds. I don't mind the daisies and the clover, but I have lots of a very invasive type weeds with notched leaves (a bit like a geranium) and tiny pink flowers-it has really thick underground roots that creep, and also some very flat, tall yellow flowered (a bit like dandelions) tap rooted ones-these come out very easily with a trowel, or a fiskars weed puller (much better on my back :D) but I am leaving the grass with hundreds of holes! :eek:

I'm not keen on using weed and feed type things, and not sure if it would even work on these (or what they are-I think the 2nd one is maybe plantain??) Does anyone use them, are they any good, and which is the best (and easiest to apply-my garden is 35m long and 10m wide!)

Comments

• blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Options
    The first weed sounds like herb robert
    Second milk thistle?
    I'd just use some soil to fill the holes as you remove them, the grass will soon fill it
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I use the weed & feed generic stuff from Homebase and it works well enough, I put it on twice a year making sure that there is rain forecast.

My dad used to use a weed puller and he kept a mixture of sand and grass seed ready to fill the holes.

Both methods will have their success and failure rates and it is for you to find which suits you best for your soil type and weed type.
  • demystified
    demystified Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    The first weed sounds like herb robert

The thick, deep roots don't though - they're very shallow rooted and easy to pull out.

To the OP - use some kind of lawn weedkiller or feed 'n' weed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport