Urgent!!!! Need car taxed to take back to England.

rosie383
rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
I am over in Belfast and due to go back to England in a couple of days. I found a wee car I want to buy, but the tax runs out tomorrow.
The owner already has the insurance transferred to their new car, so they can't insure it.
I need to get the insurance done for my home address in the UK so I can't insure it here as it is not a NI address and I need a Norn Iron address to do the tax..
Any ideas?

Could I maybe get insurance for 1 day just to get it taxed, then I can start my 'real' insurance from tomorrow?
Do I need to show Photographic ID, so it proves a NI address?

I would really like to buy this wee car- just have this problem. Need answers this morning.
Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
(he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
:D:D:D

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 May 2012 at 8:46AM
    Drive it without tax. Back tax it to the date you starting using it when you get to England

You get at least 7 days grace to retax the car
  • rosie383
    I don't think you do!!! If you can post a DVLNI link that says that, then I would do it, but otherwise I will poass thanks.
    I would just be driving it 2 days untaxed by the time I get it back to the mainland, but it's illegal. Wouldn't do that!
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Have you any friends in NI who could let you use their address to tax it here and then when you get back to England inform the DVLA that you have changed your address.
  • rosie383
    I can tax it from my sister's address where I'm staying. Just trying to find temp insurance at the mo. Some companies want the driver to be registered at the NI address. Will keep trying!
  • Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could you insure it as you would usually by calling the insurance company or over the internet, then apply for the tax disc online? You won't have the disc to display, but you would have at least paid and have a good explanation???

(Not sure if this is ok, so happy to be shot down if someone knows better!)
  • rosie383
    Now, there's an idea!!!
  • rosie383
    Okay. No go. Can't tax online in NI. Just by phone or in tax office.
    Back to the drawing board.
  • Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    Friend or relative back home who will be able to go on the internet and tax it for you???
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    Cazza wrote: »
    Friend or relative back home who will be able to go on the internet and tax it for you???
    No because the car is registered in N.I. and not DVLA Swansea.
    rosie383 wrote: »
    I can tax it from my sister's address where I'm staying. Just trying to find temp insurance at the mo. Some companies want the driver to be registered at the NI address. Will keep trying!
    What about sister insuring and taxing the car. You then "buy" the car and take it home with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure