MSE News: NS&I inflation-beating savings: stick or twist?

Options

Comments

• StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    melpomene wrote: »
    Thanks StevieJ.

Interest rates should also rise soon then?

Another consideration though, as discussed above, is that there is no general availability of these certificates right now, so I need to reinvest the whole amount or none of it.

You can cash in part of it?
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • melpomene
    melpomene Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    No. It's leave all in or take all out.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No. It's leave all in or take all out.

Have you confirmed that? If not I think it could be worth giving NS&I a call.

I have checked a recent letter I received and as you say it does not mention the possibility of a partial reinvestment. However, the accompanying leaflet does and the NS&I website doesn't mention this in the list of changes made in September. I suspect that it's just the letter that is misleading.
  • kar999
    kar999 Posts: 706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 February 2013 at 3:52PM
    Options
    I totally agree with inflation being a pain and with no index linked nsi's on sale and saving and isa rates falling I'd definitely hang onto them.
    If the ball had gone in the net it would have been a goal.
    If my Auntie had been a man she'd have been my Uncle.
  • melpomene
    Options
    Gosh alanq I think I'll phone them and check then!
  • melpomene
    Options
    Indeed! You beat me to it. I actually phoned them and the guy explained that although I could withdraw, say, the profits, and retain the value of my original investment going forward for 3 years, I would be reinvesting part capital and part interest, so would loose out slightly in terms of overall growth.

I decided to leave mine as it is.
  • wellspurs
    wellspurs Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Indeed! You beat me to it. I actually phoned them and the guy explained that although I could withdraw, say, the profits, and retain the value of my original investment going forward for 3 years, I would be reinvesting part capital and part interest, so would loose out slightly in terms of overall growth.

I decided to leave mine as it is.

I am in the same lucky position having gained £2.5k from £15000 invested 3 years ago. It is tempting to take the profit and leave the original £15k but is it true the new offer of inflation+.25 is only available to accounts maturing? If true it seems to make sense to leave it ALL where it is?
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2013 at 9:55AM
    Options
    I believe so, there are no new issues. Call me a Depressive or a Realist, but all profits should be measured relative to inflation (or your personal inflation). So if you had a bond exceeding inflation by 0.25% that is your true profit, £37.50 on 15k.

It's best to think of NS&I index linked bonds as a safe way of retaining wealth rather than investing. Most high street accounts don't keep up with inflation, effectively losing money and therefore effectively charge you for the privilege of saving with them.

It's probably worth keeping them in my opinion, especially if you are a taxpayer
  • davidrholmes
    Options
    I've just received notice of maturity for my NS&I Indexed Linked Savings which offers 0.05% + Inflation based upon RPI (tax Free)

Given currently available taxed interest rates, that I'm a Tax payer, and I probably don't need the cash - it seems like its worht leaving in for another 5years.

However, I notice the rules and penalties for early withdrawal have been made more costly.

As for inflation, these are not my only savings - so its a case of hedging my bets !
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 August 2013 at 11:10AM
    Options
    I think hedging your bets is the best way to think of these certificates.

Especially now that the rates on offer are not as good, penalties are more punitive, and you're talking about 5 year terms.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure