Experian Credit Score: What score do you need for "Excellent"?

Options

Comments

• fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    jon142 wrote: »
    No Probs. i found it a while ago.

I wouldn't agree with the above comments about scores being useless.

If it gives you something to aim towards and helps as information is removed etc. its worth it. however banks don't use these scores they have there own varients.

Someone recently posted on these board with bankruptcy on their file and said Experian showed them as having an excellent credit rating/score and you think the scores aren't useless. :rotfl:

Just do a search on these forums for people with 999 scores, who can't get credit.
  • jon142
    jon142 Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    fozmcfc wrote: »
    Someone recently posted on these board with bankruptcy on their file and said Experian showed them as having an excellent credit rating/score and you think the scores aren't useless. :rotfl:

Just do a search on these forums for people with 999 scores, who can't get credit.

I'm not saying expeians system is perfect. but if someone has something they can work towards, something they are feeling they are doing right its worth it.

Credit seems to have major secrecy around it, and i have no idea why.

Whats going to happen if i know HSBCs lending critera? nothing.

So why hide it? it gives some people something to work towards.

The whole system will fail soon and we'll get a new one just a matter of time.
  • PollyOnAMission
    Options
    I don't think aiming for a good credit score is worthwhile.

Better to get a sense of satisfaction from:
    1) reducing your overall debt
    2) reducing the average APR for the debt you do have
    3) increasing your payments as a proportion of your remaining debt (and of course never missing payments).

Money spent on credit scores can be used to help 1) and 3) above. I do think it is worth checking your report from time to time to look out for errors/identity fraud etc. But it seems to me that scores can go up and down so much that they are not really reliable. Plenty of threads where people got 999 and refused credit. The score is calculated from the data in your report - so it doesn't really add anything new if you have the report. The score a lender gives you will be based on this (or from another CRA), the data you put on the form and any other info they have to hand (eg if you bank with them).

1) I'm on this mission, big time.
    2) All my debt (excluding mortgage/student loan) is at 0% and will be paid off before the 0% ends.
    3) Also doing

so I do agree that those are the things to aim for. I'm not "aiming" for a higher credit score (although it can't be a bad thing if it is a consequence of achieving 1, 2 and 3 above), just curious :) I certainly won't be paying £14.99 per month after the free trial ends!
  • blacksta
    blacksta Posts: 919 Forumite
    Options
    you need a score of at least 1500
    I owe £3233 @ 0%
  • jon142
    Options
    Also a similar things is...

Why Aim for 100 in your degree? 70.1% will do for a first why " bother " aiming higher?

These " scores " mean nothing. someone with 99.9 or 70.1% fit under the same umbrella. the harder you work at it the easier things are.

I'm fed up of hearing scores are usless. someone with a credit score of 0 will be in a worst position to someone who is 999 that is FACT. some anomilies may occur granted.
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Options

Why Aim for 100 in your degree? 70.1% will do for a first why " bother " aiming higher?

These " scores " mean nothing. someone with 99.9 or 70.1% fit under the same umbrella. the harder you work at it the easier things are.

I'm fed up of hearing scores are usless. someone with a credit score of 0 will be in a worst position to someone who is 999 that is FACT. some anomilies may occur granted.

Can you explain why bankrupts are the highest risk applicants Yet experian class these as a low risk therefore experian giving them an excellent score.
  • jon142
    Options
    I'm sure it's one of 2 things;

1) The person is full of it making up a lie because they have nothing else to do (certainly got no credit) We all know anyone with bankruptcy won't be touched for many years to come, or for some reason the Experian system isn't picking up the Bankrupt order, hence everything else is 999 apart from the BO.

2) Experians system isn't perfect. no computer system is. why does HMRC send you a letter at the end of the year saying you own them XXX when didnt they catch it earlier?
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options

You obviously do not understand.

Just paying for a credit score shows you are not great with money.
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure it's one of 2 things;

1) The person is full of it making up a lie because they have nothing else to do (certainly got no credit) We all know anyone with bankruptcy won't be touched for many years to come, or for some reason the Experian system isn't picking up the Bankrupt order, hence everything else is 999 apart from the BO.

2) Experians system isn't perfect. no computer system is. why does HMRC send you a letter at the end of the year saying you own them XXX when didnt they catch it earlier?

You really haven't got a clue Jon and any more responses to you is a waste of time as clearly you have been Very taking in with experians credit score nonsense!!
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If you really want this / experian reports sign up for rbs/ natwests silver account and its £8 a month it also gives scores, and hmv dowloads and lot more for your cash
    Identity Theft Assistance
    Based on Experian Credit Report monitoring (£95.88) and CPP Helpline and advice service (£20). (February 2012).
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure