Council tax rebanding - help!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
1 reply 779 views
jeremykyleforeverjeremykyleforever Forumite
7 Posts
So, I lived in a rented property from 2001-2004 in Glasgow, where I was paying band C council tax, with a 25% student reduction.

Is it possible to reclaim council tax paid on a rented property if you believe it was incorrectly banded? Our neighbours at the time were a band B in a flat of identical dimensions and size.

Can you reband a property that you didn't own and no longer live in?

I know it can't be used as evidence in an appeal, but I used the value estimator for the property we lived in, based on a very recent sale of the flat below the one we lived in, and it also came out at band B.

Any help/pointers would be hugely appreciated.

Replies

• Little_Mo_70Little_Mo_70 Forumite
    417 Posts
    So, I lived in a rented property from 2001-2004 in Glasgow, where I was paying band C council tax, with a 25% student reduction.

Is it possible to reclaim council tax paid on a rented property if you believe it was incorrectly banded? Our neighbours at the time were a band B in a flat of identical dimensions and size.

Can you reband a property that you didn't own and no longer live in?

I know it can't be used as evidence in an appeal, but I used the value estimator for the property we lived in, based on a very recent sale of the flat below the one we lived in, and it also came out at band B.

Any help/pointers would be hugely appreciated.

Read this:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1728595

Not too sure about the timescale though as it was a long time ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals

MSE Guides