Council tax rebanding - help!

So, I lived in a rented property from 2001-2004 in Glasgow, where I was paying band C council tax, with a 25% student reduction.

Is it possible to reclaim council tax paid on a rented property if you believe it was incorrectly banded? Our neighbours at the time were a band B in a flat of identical dimensions and size.

Can you reband a property that you didn't own and no longer live in?

I know it can't be used as evidence in an appeal, but I used the value estimator for the property we lived in, based on a very recent sale of the flat below the one we lived in, and it also came out at band B.

Any help/pointers would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Little_Mo_70
    Little_Mo_70 Posts: 417 Forumite
    So, I lived in a rented property from 2001-2004 in Glasgow, where I was paying band C council tax, with a 25% student reduction.

Is it possible to reclaim council tax paid on a rented property if you believe it was incorrectly banded? Our neighbours at the time were a band B in a flat of identical dimensions and size.

Can you reband a property that you didn't own and no longer live in?

I know it can't be used as evidence in an appeal, but I used the value estimator for the property we lived in, based on a very recent sale of the flat below the one we lived in, and it also came out at band B.

Any help/pointers would be hugely appreciated.

Read this:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1728595

Not too sure about the timescale though as it was a long time ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure