We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Thousands of small brown insects on my gooseberry bush

Options
davemorton
davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
:eek: Just checking out the garden and noticed one of my gooseberrys had lots of curled up leaves. Both plants are next to each other, but only one bush seemed affected. Looking under the curled up leaves, there is hundreds of small brown dots, insects I presume, but, what are they???
Many thanks for shedding any light on this. :beer:
“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Aphids. The leaf deformation is due to them sucking the sap from the soft green new growth.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • davemorton
    Options
    The swines, Mr. Chemical is going to have to come out and play tomorrow evening then.
  • ladylouise62
    ladylouise62 Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    See if you can find a couple of ladybirds. I popped a couple from my hedge to an infested currant bush, and 2 days later I had to really hunt to find a single one.
  • sammyroser
    sammyroser Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    Planting marigolds near the plants helps also as aphids hate them
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    Hover flies love aphids. Growing weeds nearby can attract them. I am sure there are other hover fly attracting plants too. I think sweet peas might do the job, not sure.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Options
    I had them but not too many so managed to spray them off with water. apparently water and washing up liquid works if sprayed on - my great grandad used that method....not sure if they blew bubbles when eating the fruit though :)
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,328 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Are you sure they are not baby spiders? They will soon move into the sunlight if so

Brown is the clue here, aphids are green, not brown. Baby spiders are brown / yellow

http://vegblogs.co.uk/grandad/2012/04/12/spiders-galore/

do not kill them if they are spiders
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • davemorton
    Options
    Going to have another inspect this evening. All I know is there are thousands of them, all over the underside of the leaves. They better not spread to my blackcurrants or else!!
  • thumperrabbit
    thumperrabbit Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    They are most likley aphids, there seems to be more around this year than normal, I am guessing theeh mild winter didn't kill them off.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 May 2012 at 11:19AM
    Options
    I have lots of brown aphids this year. My companion plants haven`t flowered yet, to attract the predators. Plants are soft and sappy after the spring we have just had. Won`t be long though before the predators arrive
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure