In limbo!!!

Options
Hi guys a bit of background, my dept is currently under discussions on relocation/centralisation this would mean that I would have in excess of 1hr - 1.5hrs commute to a new location there and back plus a probable 12 hr shift so I would be looking at a min of a 14hr day. My employers have not formally put us at risk instead they are saying we are just having exploratory one to one meetings to gauge the feelings of staff on whether they would be willing to commute/relocate. They have not given us any information regarding the new location ie confirmed shift times, if they will give us travelling expenses, security of new positions etc. I said in my one to one that I was unwilling to commit to an answer until we are given further information.

The problem I have now is that I had a telephone interview for a new job yesterday that went really well!!! They have invited me for a second interview on Friday, so what do I do if they offer me the job???? Obviously it would be fantastic but where do I stand with my current employer??? We know for a fact that we will be formally put 'at risk' in a couple of weeks as we are unable to commute/relocate but then it will be maybe 6 weeks after that that I will be able to leave and get redundancy!!! I really dont want to lose any potential redundancy payout because every penny counts these days but on the other hand I know that job opportunities are scarce and I would imagine a new employer would prefer me to start sooner rather than later, so it would really be sensible to take the new job and just give up the redundancy!! Can anyone give me any advice on this situation, I'm starting to lose sleep over it, and my head is spinning!!!!
Member of the £2 savers club :D

£210 so far!!!

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    how long have you worked there?
    whats the package statutory or more?

They are using the divide to the employees to get the upper hand some will fear losing their jobs and consider comute relocation.

You should all get together and discuss your approach as a group
    the give us the information before we talk is a good approach

what if no one will move how practical is the move then and the cost will they go ahead anyway.

For now don't tell anyone you may have a job not even a mate definately no one at work.

Untill you have your notice and are within your statutory notice period your redundacny is at risk, at that point you can issue counter notice to leave and secure the redundancy. That could be weeks away.

There is not a lot you an do and untill you get the job there is nothing to consider anyway.
  • cankle
    cankle Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply, I have worked here for 6 years, I would receive an enhanced redundancy package from my employer.

What we as a team have done so far is put forward a counter proposal to keep the department up here and not move it to the proposed new location, this report we have drafted has been handed to the Senior Management Team. I am thinking that very few will be willing to move should the move go ahead (I personally think it will and they are just going through the motions), there are 11 of us involved and I dont think there will be 11 jobs available at the new location in any case!

I just hope that they put us formally at risk sooner rather than later as I hate being in limbo, but they are being very sneaky obviously we all know we are at risk but until its made formal then we cant look for other work (well we can but if we get it we may have to leave early thus losing out on redundancy) we cant take time off for interviews etc also there is a problem that our dept is under staffed so the chances of any of us being able to leave early is pretty slim

£210 so far!!!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    They will have to give you 6 weeks notice(or more if contractual) and this only starts from when they put you on notice at the end of consultation.

If the majority of people are happy to do so might be worth pushing them to admit you are allready at risk since they are considering the closure and relocation and when will you be put on notice,, pushing might just trigger them to move faster.

Look up counternotice, if your notice is shorter than 6 weeks this could be a way out early.
  • cankle
    cankle Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    The job I have applied for has a closing date of 21 Jun on their website, I know Im getting a bit ahead of myself but looking at the closing date would I be right in thinking although my interview is on Friday they would still be accepting applications up to 21 Jun and then only after the closing date would they offer the job to someone. If this was the case it would be a big positive for me as I think we will be given the date of 1 Aug as a last day.

£210 so far!!!
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    go for the new job

get an offer

worry abut it then
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure