Options
13»

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dave030445 wrote: »
    It was alleged it was your kid that damaged your neighbours car start taking responsibility and do what ever it takes to sort your neighbours car out. instead of trying to get out of it. Glad you dont live next door to me. Little brat.

makes quite a difference.
  • korky69
    korky69 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    its down to your conscience.
    my g/f had paint splatted by neighbours brats, we had it on camera too,
    police came and did nothing as the kids were too young, they appealed to the parents good nature ( lol )
    they didn't even do anything when they caught the parent driving illegally either!
  • dave030445
    dave030445 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    makes quite a difference.
    Makes no difference at all considering the OP has already said it was her kid. I guessed the OP was on IS even before she told us I wonder how I new that.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    On another note why was a 4 year old out in the street unsupervised anyway?

Yes, why? You had to ask your neighbour what she saw as you knew nothing about it.

Your neighbour thought it was chalk - even using chalk on the side of a car would NOT be acceptable. What kind of community do you live in where it is OK to mess with other people's property without an adult telling you to stop?

I pity your child as s/he is not really being brought up to respect others and that will blight his life forever.
    Do nothing...its tough but thats how it is.

Tough? This child took a stone and scratched a neighbour's car - how is that just tough. How is the OP not responsible?
    :hello:
  • meerustar
    meerustar Posts: 8,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good God, this 'brat' you're condemning is 4 years old. 4 YEARS OLD!!

Seriously, you can be the best parent in the world and a child can do something like that. It amazes me how people can question the OP's parenting skills when they know nothing of the circumstances.

The OP is asking HOW to pay this woman as she has little income, she is NOT shirking her responsibility and is accepting that her child has done it. She is not wriggling out of paying, just asking for advice on how to pay.

OP - Tell her you will pay her excess insurance and that is it. She is insured for scratches and so should use the insurance to get it corrected.

Good luck and ignore all the 'holier than thou' bunch here, they've never ever made a mistake in their lives!!
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    meerustar wrote: »
    Good God, this 'brat' you're condemning is 4 years old. 4 YEARS OLD!!

Seriously, you can be the best parent in the world and a child can do something like that. It amazes me how people can question the OP's parenting skills when they know nothing of the circumstances.

I don't think the 'best parent in the world' would let a 4 year old out alone and unsupervised for long enough to cause damage to a car by scratching it with a stone. He wasn't just throwing a stone which can take a moment, it was a stone picked up, the child walked to the neighbour's car and then proceeded to scratch that car with the stone in such a manner that a watching neighbour thought he was writing on it with chalk (shame on the her as well for not intervening).

The OP did not even realise anything had happened - with her 4 year old - YES, as you say.... 4 YEARS OLD!

No 4 year old should just be let outside and left to roam alone - that is BAD parenting.
    :hello:
  • helwarren
    helwarren Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Don't pay. Had similar situation with my 5 yr old who was riding on pavement and scratched car with her handlebars - the car was overhanging the pavement from their drive. Illegal to ride on pavement I accept but illegal to obstruct pavement. However did at first feel morally that should pay but after dwelling on it thought that was what his insurance is for. (young driver with mercedes -probably damage repair was less than excess). In the end I gave him our home insurance policy details as had public liability cover (or whatever it is) and told him pursue that way. Never heard a thing.
    Don't think she could take you to court as you did not do the damage and your daughter is a minor.
    I think you have acted reasonably in offering to pay excess - if she doesnt accept that then her problem.

and before anyone calls me a bad parent -I was with her -me wheeling my bike not riding and did stop to acknowledge what had happened.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure