ASK AN EXPERT: TRAVEL & HOLIDAYS. You've got a few more days to add your travel & holiday questions for deals expert MSE Oli

Band or dj?

Replies

• We're having a DJ - the one the venue provides costs £300 and we'd heard good things about them from people who've been to weddings at our venue. They will basically let us have any music we like, so we're putting in a little slip with the invites asking people to request a song. We will of course have some of our own too just in case we don't get enough back, although when my sister did a similar thing they actually ended up not being able to play everyone's choices because they had too many!

OH originally wanted an iPod disco but the issue there was lights as it was going to cost more to hire in a lighting rig, have someone set it up and get it PAT tested than it was just to have the DJ. I would also have loved a ceilidh band but OH hates them so we decided a DJ was better all round.

These are our DJs (based in York but I think they will travel locally): http://www.nightowlsdiscos.co.uk/
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • spacey2012spacey2012 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I find the mistake people make when they book bands is they want to please everyone and end up with a cheesy non genre band singing the drifters or worse still a jazz or swing band.
    Result, the oldest git in the room gets catered for, everyone else would rather jump out of the window.
    Book a band that plays what you like, end of story, it is your wedding.
    Let the DJ do his bit from 8 until about 10:00 and bore everyone then let the band rip with one long 75 minute set of the best stuff, no fillers, never two sets, that is for pub gigs, then the DJ finishes off.

Do this please everyone thing and you end up with the band of ... cheese.
    Be happy...;)
  • krustylouisekrustylouise Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    we looked for quotes for bands and was quoted £900 plus we had to accommodate them if past a certain distance which it was, and we just couldn't afford that. we have booked a dj who came highly recommended and has been very open with regards to song choices. also as he knows the venue and has played there before he has made it easier for us. He costs £240 from 7-12:30 x

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

• traleegirltraleegirl Forumite
    170 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We are having both...an Irish band to start the proceedings followed by a disco after the buffet....best of both worlds!!
  • We may be mad but we are having 3 types of entertainment to get people up on the dance floor- 1st a ceili with traditional Irish musicians and a dance instructor (caller) for 30-60 mins, then the band for 2.5 hours, then a dj until the hotel tell him it's too late for music!

It's the done thing where I'm from to have a band and dj but we really wanted some traditional dancing too - it's going to be an exhausting night but v good for the hips!
  • We're having a dj who worked at a hotel I used to work at so we know what we're getting and he's charging us 210 for the night xxx
    Debt free finally :j
    First house purchase ... 2018 :j
  • Mrs_HuggettMrs_Huggett Forumite
    377 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    spacey2012 wrote: »
    I find the mistake people make when they book bands is they want to please everyone and end up with a cheesy non genre band singing the drifters or worse still a jazz or swing band.
    Result, the oldest git in the room gets catered for, everyone else would rather jump out of the window.
    Book a band that plays what you like, end of story, it is your wedding.
    Let the DJ do his bit from 8 until about 10:00 and bore everyone then let the band rip with one long 75 minute set of the best stuff, no fillers, never two sets, that is for pub gigs, then the DJ finishes off.

Do this please everyone thing and you end up with the band of ... cheese.
    A jazz or Swing band I would love, maybe I'm an old git:o I do vintage DJing with proper wind up gramophones which is becoming very popular for weddings, there are other Dj's who use vinyl nowadays too, there is a lot of expense involved in being a DJ so please bear this in mind when you are looking for one.
  • Mrs_HuggettMrs_Huggett Forumite
    377 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Forgot to say that there is a great deal of expense in running a band too!!
  • Si_ClistSi_Clist Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Based on seeing/hearing a lot of DJs and bands at 400+ weddings, my only advice would be to ponder on four things ...

A band tends to play what it can, which may or may not be what you want to hear

You can turn down a DJ but you can't turn down a band

A band will nearly always expect to be fed before they kick off

And they may well expect do do what passes for a sound check when they set up ...
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • monkeypuzzle32monkeypuzzle32 Forumite
    127 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We had a dj (my husband) and then a band for our wedding last year, they cost ALOT but we knew they'd be worth and they were, and we've since seen them play several times they were that good. But the main thing is to do your research, decide what atmosphere you want and what sort of music, there are websites out there like Alive network for you to get ideas from and if you love your music then they are worth the money. My husband dj's 40's & 50's music so he did our playlist and he's done lots of weddings and dances and I can assure you the dance floors are never empty! Like any good dj he can provide a playlist or even better if you tell him what sort of atmosphere you want and what type of music you like he'll pick out music that reflects that-no good not telling the dj and then hating what he plays!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Clubcard deadline looming

Swap your points for vouchers by Tuesday

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum