MSE News: Wonga warned over aggressive debt collection

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Wonga warned over aggressive debt collection

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
13 replies 3.6K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
"Payday lender Wonga has been ordered to stop aggressive debt-collection tactics or face a £50,000 fine..."

Replies

• runninglearunninglea Forumite
    907 posts
    I bet the're really worried about a potential fine of 50K
    Year 2019 (1,700/£17000mortgage repayment)Overall mortgage (71,400/165568) (44
    .1%) (42/100) payments made. Total paid 2019 year £1,700
    Total paid 2017 year £15,300Total paid 2018 year £13,600
  • hamsterfan1hamsterfan1 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    perhap the should be charged 4214% on it from levy until it is paid (i notice their site says they don't charge 000's% apr because you can't borrow for a year!!!!)
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • nottoolatenottoolate Forumite
    1.4K posts
    runninglea wrote: »
    I bet the're really worried about a potential fine of 50K

maybe it will get rolled over :cool:
  • zxspeccyzxspeccy Forumite
    117 posts
    Maybe if Wonga started acting responsibly then it wouldn't be lending money to debt-ridden customers with no ability to repay the loans in the first place..... just a thought.
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    zxspeccy wrote: »
    Maybe if Wonga started acting responsibly then it wouldn't be lending money to debt-ridden customers with no ability to repay the loans in the first place..... just a thought.

Well they clearly don't, otherwise they'd be broke...

I personally wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, but they do provide an essential service for some people.
  • The_SwerveThe_Swerve Forumite
    78 posts
    wow...a whole 50k

talk about toothless
  • zxspeccyzxspeccy Forumite
    117 posts
    I wouldn't touch them with somebody else's bargepole :) and fortunately I don't need to and hopefully never will.

It is interesting that Wonga accuse their "customers" of commiting fraud, as I am sure in some cases they do. Borrowing money when you know that you will be unable to pay it back is fraud (isn't it?... money by deception?). It is just people don't think when they are deparate, and these type of companies wouldn't exist if there wasn't desparate people out there. I do wonder how anyone could possibly work for a company like this, how could they live with themselves?

The £50K fine only applies if Wonga continue to operate in this manner. All they will do is change their email/letter templates and telephone scripts so that they communicate their message in more general terms, rather that accusing the "customer" directly.
  • VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Funny how on the BBC article reporting this, it dedicated about half the article giving Wonga a right to reply, saying that it only affected a very small amount of customers, these customers were suspected of fraud, it happened over 18 months ago, there are procedures in place to ensure it doesn't happen again, and although some letters were definitely sent, they can't even be sure that the phone call scripts from the time which contained the offending remarks were even used in the first place.

But then I guess MSE doesn't consider that this needed to get in the way of a good news item.

And no, I don't work for Wonga, and have never had any experience with a payday lender.
  • nottoolatenottoolate Forumite
    1.4K posts
    It also said that the script used on the phone by its in-house debt collecting staff had not been used since January 2010.

that statement by wonga is clearly not true.

15-07-2010

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=34771585&postcount=1
  • adamc260adamc260 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    50k is nothing to them... they'll make that back in interest before you can even blink!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support