Forum Home» Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News

'No, I WON'T play you at Scrabble online' blog discussion

New Post Advanced Search

'No, I WON'T play you at Scrabble online' blog discussion

2 replies 2K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Replies

• bargepolebargepole Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Martin, you've got the wrong idea about this.

The officially recognised online Scrabble site at www.isc.ro is used by thousands of serious Scrabble players, and if you put down an invalid word it will reject it, and you lose your turn - just like playing the real thing.

It also allows you to set timer parameters for the game, such as the 25 minutes per player that is used in recognised tournaments.

You and her indoors really should give it a go.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 51, lost 13), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Ida_NotionIda_Notion Forumite
    314 posts
    Years and years ago, I used to have an Amstrad CPC6128 that came with a Scrabble game. I soon discovered that if you put a word in that it didn't recognise, it would simply prompt you for confirmation and award you the points anyway, even if you put in absolute rubbish.

"FXZQITJ" - I challenge your play. Are you sure? (Y/N)
    Y

Most of the time, I played fair (as already mentioned, where's the challenge otherwise?), but sometimes when the computer had all but won, I would hit the 'Y' button just for the satisfaction of knowing that even if I wasn't as clever as the computer was, I wasn't nearly as gullible :)
    Freddie Starr Ate My Signature
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support