cost for paying wood floor, doors and skirting

Options
Hi

I wonder if anyone can tell me if this is a reasonable quote. I have been quoted £1230 for the following work.

Lay a solid wood floor. The room is 5 yards wide and 4.4 yards long. He said he will lay a plywood base first over the existing wooden floorboards which are a bit uneven. I have already bought the wooden flooring.

Hand 3 internal doors and fit the door furniture. I have supplied these.

Replace the skirting and door facings for the room. there are 3 doors. He has suggested MDF skirting and facings which he will supply as I simply want to paint these white

I was a bit surprised at the amount he has quoted. He was recommended to us by the guy who is doing the plastering in the room and he said that this is who he would always chose to work with. He is a local joiner to us in Central Scotland.

It is always really difficult to find tradesmen and none of my friends knew of anyone to recommend which is why we asked the plasterer.

Any assistance gratefully received or any recommendations if anyone knows a really good joiner who could do this for me would be welcome.

thanks

Comments

• osian
    osian Posts: 455 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like quite a lot. I recently got quoted £575 for my main living room (approx 5x4m), little living room (approx 3.5 x3m) and hall (4x2m). I have to supply the skirtings myself (which I've roughly worked out will be £100ish). This is for laminate though, not wood. The same guy quoted £25 to hang a door.

Is your floor the type that clicks together easily or will he have to nail or glue each piece down. Perhaps that is why it's quite pricy.
  • karvala
    karvala Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    It does seem excessive. He's essentially charging for 10 days full-time labour; is the job really going to take him 10 days? I doubt it.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    mudgekin wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone can tell me if this is a reasonable quote. I have been quoted £1230 for the following work.
    On the face of it it seems heavy but if nothing else bear in mind that there is a significant cost in the ply required for such an area - even for 9mm stuff and coupled with the skirting boards theres somewhere in the region of £ 150 - £ 200 worth of materials for him to buy. He is also effectively laying two lots of flooring - first the ply and then the wooden floor on top but the first will take a lot less time than the second. Allowing £ 100 for hanging the doors and fitting the furniture thats going to leave somewhere in the region of £ 900 for labour on the floor which does seem on the heavy side but he has seen the job I haven't. Perhaps you might like to ask him if he wouldn't mind justifying the price a bit as its rather over your planned budget and although you are minded to give him the work (no thats not the same as promising it to him) you need a bit of clarity.
    ....................... a really good joiner who could do this for me would be welcome.
    You pays your money - you takes your choice. A really good one can and will charge more for his services than a mediocre one. I suspect you mean a cheap really good one. The trouble is you can have a good job and you can have a cheap job. What you can't have is a good, cheap job

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Steve_the_fitter
    Options
    How have you worked this out? Do you know what the guys day rate is or something?

karvala wrote: »
    It does seem excessive. He's essentially charging for 10 days full-time labour; is the job really going to take him 10 days? I doubt it.
  • mudgekin
    mudgekin Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    keystone wrote: »

You pays your money - you takes your choice. A really good one can and will charge more for his services than a mediocre one. I suspect you mean a cheap really good one. The trouble is you can have a good job and you can have a cheap job. What you can't have is a good, cheap job

Thanks for the replies everyone. Re the above, I am not looking for cheap at all. What I am looking for is a decent quote and I was not sure if this was reasonable or not. If it is the going rate, then I am more than happy to pay it, if it is extortionate then I am not. I had originally thought it would be around the 800-900 mark but not having any real idea I was guessing that.
  • karvala
    karvala Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    How have you worked this out? Do you know what the guys day rate is or something?

No, I know what the guys day rate ought to be. Of course he might charge £500 per day, but that's no reason for the OP to pay it. This is a semi-skilled job; any capable DIYer could do it. There is no reason to be paying more than £120-£130 per day for this.
  • john.h
    john.h Posts: 349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    karvala wrote: »
    No, I know what the guys day rate ought to be. Of course he might charge £500 per day, but that's no reason for the OP to pay it. This is a semi-skilled job; any capable DIYer could do it. There is no reason to be paying more than £120-£130 per day for this.

When did joinery become a semi-skilled job??

John....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport