employer gives wrong estimate - any recourse??

Options
Everyone at my university was recently offered either voluntary severance or early retirement and given several weeks to seek estimates from HR. I called them immediately and asked if the package was based on my actual contract (.6) or my current pattern of working (.8). They told me it was based on what I was earning currently (ie. ,8) and eventually sent me a letter to that effect indicating what the package was. Based on that letter I applied on the final date to take the package. Today, they let me know that they had made a mistake and in fact it was .6 which amounts to about 5000£ less.
The question is - do I have any recourse given that I made the decision on the basis of what they had told me both in writing and verbally??

Comments

• mynameistallulah
    mynameistallulah Posts: 2,238 Forumite
    Options
    Have they offered you the option to rescind your acceptance? I imagine that is the best you will get.
  • hughes20
    hughes20 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    They haven't actually said they'll accept my leaving yet (since its voluntary) but I think when they do, I have an option to accept or not. However, I've had to tell my manager and a couple of other people and thus will be in a position where I've played my cards, if you see what I mean. I just don't understand how something as important as this can be put in writing officially and then simply be 'a mistake'....
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you have the option of taking the offer or not. That's all. They can't give you more favourable terms than anyone else, they have to abide by the VR terms collectively agreed.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, I can't see how you can hold them to anything when you haven't actually agreed it.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    How long have you been working 0.8 when was it due to end.

Get a copy of the terms they should be on-line or available from HR/unions.
  • hughes20
    hughes20 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    In fact when I contacted ACAS this morning they said I had a very good case to make since redundancy is based on what one earns currently (and I have been working on .8 for several years despite my contract saying .6).
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Several years and no end date that makes it your contractual hours, they don't have to be written.

That should be fine for the statutory redundancy but the exact terms of the enhanced packages would need to be looked at.

Looks promising.
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    that would indeed be the case if they were paying statutory minimum but clearly they are not.

So again, what are the terms of the collectively negotiated agreement? What does the union say? (I think as this is academia there will have been union involvement.)
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure