🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Santander!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    Options
    IIRC, the government pays compensation for the FSCS upfront, and then recoups its money from a levy on the financial services industry of up to £4bn per year.

the "interesting" question is what would happen if there were such big bank failure(s) that £4bn per year wasn't enough to pay the government back. i imagine that, if the government thought the industry could survive a higher levy, they'd increase the maximum levy. but if not ...?

(BTW, i feel more south british than english.)
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    IIRC, the government pays compensation for the FSCS upfront, and then recoups its money from a levy on the financial services industry of up to £4bn per year.
    )

Not sure that it works like that, tbh. The only 'levy' that I am aware of is the FSCS levy on the industry (most recent one here). Happy to get corrected though!

In the case of the IceSave collapse, the government guaranteed retail investors all their deposits (no limit), and then got the FSCS to administer the payout. This was highly unusual because IceSave wasn't FSA regulated, and therefore there was no FSCS provision for them. The debate over recovery of the funds from Iceland is still ongoing, I believe.

In some smaller cases, the FSCS have compensated depositors from FSCS funds.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,694 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    More info here

http://www.fscs.org.uk/industry/funding/levy-information/

My understanding is that in the event of a major default the cost woul d be covered by the Treasury and paid back by the FSCS over a number of years.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • srcandas
    srcandas Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May 2012 at 7:37PM
    Options
    (BTW, i feel more south british than english.)

If the Scots want independence will you apply for dual nationality?? :D:D:D

Seriously if the Scots want independence I wish them all the best and if they don't I welcome their decision. Their culture adds greatly to life on these islands. As long as the decision is open and honest.

But for those who will vote, including the many English who live in Scotland, they need to consider these details.

But enough I hear many saying; for another thread perhaps :beer:
    I believe past performance is a good guide to future performance :beer:
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    More info here

My understanding is that in the event of a major default the cost woul d be covered by the Treasury and paid back by the FSCS over a number of years.

I can't see anything that suggests that the Treasury is committed to paying anything at all, or to advancing any monies to the financial services industry

As far as I understand,
    1. the FSCS is independent of the government and the financial industry, but their provisions form a fundamental/mandatory part of the licences the FSA grants to financial organisations
    2. the FSCS has an annual capacity of max £4.03bn, which is expected to cover the liabilities.
    IMO, it is brilliant news that there is nothing that commits government to come to the rescue of any failing bank. It would be pretty terrible if banks could just go bellies up and point at governments for sorting out the depositors.

Of course, in any financial armageddon scenario, the government, or the IMF / other foreign governments might come to the rescue. As far as they are able, and willing, to.

Before we get totally despondent, however: we do each have an £85K cover for our deposits in each financial group. And no reason to exepect an imminent collapse of any of the UK high street banks.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    Not sure that it works like that, tbh. The only 'levy' that I am aware of is the FSCS levy on the industry (most recent one here). Happy to get corrected though!

This was highly unusual because IceSave wasn't FSA regulated, and therefore there was no FSCS provision for them. The debate over recovery of the funds from Iceland is still ongoing, I believe.
    IceSave was authorised by the FSA with limited regulation and was covered by FSCS compensation guarantees continuously whilst taking deposits in the UK. The first €20k in the event of a default should have come from Icelandic guarantees. The balance upto £35k was due from UK compensation scheme at the time of their collapse.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    More info here

That's what happened with Bradford & Bingley.

But the Treasury is not required by statute to act in such a way. That's a political decision for whoever is running the asylum at the time.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In practice I don't believe the government will ever let savers in UK banks lose out if they have kept within the FSCS limits because keeping faith in the banking system is essential or all is lost. Investors accept risk, savers do not.
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The gov do not pay, the banks do. It is their bill to pay. So if there really was a large amount due, every bank that has retail depositors is required to contribute from profits in proportion.

If there is no profits it rolls forward annually until they have the money owed. In the event banks cannot cover, gov is not required to pay it just stays as a tax on any future profits. In theory it might take some time, however many banks are profitable in normal times.

The gov may choose for political reasons to handle debts, however a company like RBS has potential of over 1 trillion to clear before paying out on retail hence the gov covered for them any shortfall temporally, it was a political gesture.
    Both Lloyds and RBS only recently paid back 2008 debt to gov. Both are being forced to offload large parts of the balance sheet and also increase reserves so it cannot happen again.

I never heard of Santander requiring help, they went shopping in 2008 as prices got slashed. They never took the B&B debt for example because it was partly trash including USA car loan debt.

I rank them like HSBC, very subdivided and balanced. EAch country being separate is a strategy they kept for years.
    The risk is South America, Spain is old news and bad growth for many years but if revolution occurs in spanish speaking countries abroad it would be dire for them
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options

I rank them like HSBC, very subdivided and balanced. EAch country being separate is a strategy they kept for years.
    The risk is South America, Spain is old news and bad growth for many years but if revolution occurs in spanish speaking countries abroad it would be dire for them
    it doesn't matter how well balanced they are if an ill-informed run on the bank takes place.

Good post though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family