Husband redundant, JSA & Pilon?

Options
Hubby was given notice on thursday last week that his company are calling in the liquidators.
Yesterday his workplace closed & he has been in today to fill out forms with the liquidators.

He should be receiving redundancy as he's been there 5 years, along with Pilon worth 5 weeks wage.

The liquidators have today told him not to apply for JSA as this will affect his PILON payment.

Please can somebody explain this to me as my head is spinning. This has all happened so suddenly and as we've not been in this situation before,I have got no idea what we're doing!

Thank you x
96 items decluttered so far in 2013 :)

Comments

• aimzrabbit
    aimzrabbit Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Hi My names gary

i was made redundant on friday the 18th May 2012

i was paid 13.5 weeks redundancy and 13 weeks PILON

i filled in my online JSA last friday and had my JSA appointment today monday the 21/05/2012

you get you JSA straight away as JSA contribution claim if you have been employed for 2 years with the same employer

dont be believing all the old wives tales that you cant claim

claim what you can I am ive paid enough in

hope this helps
    I am NOT a mortgage advisor nor a professional in any debt related matters my replies to posts reflect my personal view only and experience in life time situations that may or may not be of any use to you if you need advice speak to a professional
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Regular redundancy is fine

I think(so you NEED to check) you have to be carefull if climing from the NI fund for lost wages PILON redundacy any income (including I think JSA) can be used to ofsset the total payout.
  • short_cake
    short_cake Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    If your being paid out by the insolvency office for redundancy because the company you worked for no longer is trading
    The Insolvency Office will take off the amount of Jsa that your entitled to in any notice pay due, BUT also they take it off if you haven't or don't claim it as they say you should have !
    I know because wife was due 12 PILON weeks pay when she was made redundant from a job last year she had been in over 16 yrs, So when she was made redundant from a company that went insolvent she didnt want to go back to work, so effectively wasn't job seeking so not enititled to jsa
    but they the IO ruled she should have kept her notice claim to a minimum by claiming ?
    so she got 20+ weeks full redundancy due to age and 12 weeks PILON less 67.50 x 12 just because she decided at that point she had enough of working
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been made redundant twice where the company has folded completely and we were paid notice pay and redundancy pay from government funds.

The first time I got a job within a week and everything I earnt from the new job was deducted from the notice pay. The second time I didnt get a job so quickly so was paid my notice pay without any deductions. Also the Job Centre would not commence my claim until my notice pay had run out.

Hope this helps and doesnt confuse you more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure