🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Egg Money - online balance is wrong?

Options
I have a text update from Egg saying that my balance at the end of 5 March is £579.55dr. I just logged in to check whether a transaction had gone through, and it is now showing the balance to be £572.22dr.

Since the 5 March however, the transaction summary also shows two other transactions, totalling £22.85, cashback of £5.51 and payments of £150 and £550. so surely my balance should now be £110.44CR. The transaction summary doesn't give a running total so it's impossible to see where the number at the end comes from. No combination of the numbers I can find gives me the balance figure they have.

Should I be worried, or is it just not registering the payments yet?

Oh, and I am a bit miffed about the two payments as well, I had a dd of £400 which I wanted to increase to £550. When I tried to do this online it said that the payment date was too close so it would go through as normal. I therefore made an additional payment of £150 to top it up. Then they went ahead and took the increased £550 dd as well.Grrrrr. Luckily I had sufficient funds in my account to cover both payments, but I could have been in real trouble.

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Firstly sometimes Egg show transactions that have not yet been put into the total.
    Usually this sorts itself out the next day.
    I would keep checking back over a few days.
    If it's permanently not right then give them a call.

As for direct debits Egg have to produce a tape or electronic file of DDs something like about 5 days in advance to send to the banks.
    If you make adjustments at the last minute they CANNOT affect your DD which is already effectively "in the post".
    I work in IT and about 5 years ago this was done using magnetic tape (and presumably motorcycle couriers or post). They have probably updated this but I still believe they do this a number of working days in advance.
    So basically you cannot make last minute changes.
    If you want to make changes that affect your DD then make sure you do it WELL in advance (at least a week).
    If not, just leave it and let the DD go through.
  • Jostick
    Jostick Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    The Egg online system is a bit creaky, it must be said.
    Some areas work fine; withdrawing/ transferring from savings for instance. Every transaction seems to take the stated 4-5 working days to complete and the site is counter intuative in places. I have learnt not to "flood" them with more than one or two requests a week by 'phone or online as their systems do not work in anything like real time. I was told that the servers update all the transactions at about 1am which would explain the site frequently being down in the early morning.
    My advise would be "sit tight and don't panic!"
    I love them; they keep giving me interest and cashback on money that was not mine in the first place! Hoorah!
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    As an aside, has anyone noticed that the egg money manager is crashing a lot recently?

The ewise plugin appears to be causing it. Has anyone else found this?
  • abitrubbish
    abitrubbish Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    As for direct debits Egg have to produce a tape or electronic file of DDs something like about 5 days in advance to send to the banks.
    If you make adjustments at the last minute they CANNOT affect your DD which is already effectively "in the post".
    I work in IT and about 5 years ago this was done using magnetic tape (and presumably motorcycle couriers or post). They have probably updated this but I still believe they do this a number of working days in advance.
    So basically you cannot make last minute changes.
    If you want to make changes that affect your DD then make sure you do it WELL in advance (at least a week).
    If not, just leave it and let the DD go through.

I appreciate this, which was why I made an additional top up payment for this month until the change in the dd went through. Then the online changes DID go through EARLY, so I effectively paid twice...

Though I've checked back this morning and it now says £32.85dr, so it seems to have registered the £550 payment (which went in yesterday) but not the £150 payment which went in on the 6th. :confused:

I guess it will sort itself out eventually, but it's quite annoying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport