We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What is a reasonable price for topsoil?

Options
s_glover
s_glover Posts: 653 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 15 May 2012 at 8:55AM in Gardening
We have dug all the plants etc out the exisitng raised bed in our garden and are now looking to fill it to grow herbs / veggies etc.

We are thinking of filling with a mixture or well rotted manure and topsoil, does this sound OK?

We have been quoted £25 for a tonne of topsoil but I've no idea if this is a good price or not so any advice would be great.
Thanks

Comments

• TheMoneySpider
    Options
    How much is a tonne? (sorry)

These guys are selling "bulk bags" and job lots of 20 litre bags for £69 & £89 respectively http://shop.tru-grow.co.uk/

Is it topsoil you need if you are growing veggies or should you use compost (or is that the expensive option).

Would love a veg patch, really should start one, we have a really nice herb patch at the moment
  • wheels28
    wheels28 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Last year my husband made 2 raised beds for me (wheelchair user), it it we grew loads of veg, everything grew well even though we didn't know what we were doing we ordered a 'veggie topsoil' it did cost £65 and that was on an easter special, so £25 sounds good to me, but my mother in law is in an over 60's club, and she gets free compost at her local council re-cycling area she just has to take something to get it home in, not sure if all councils offer this, our area has only just started green waste recycling, it might be worth asking in your area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure