We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Water Butt

Options
kimmie
kimmie Posts: 70 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hiya,
I have just fitted a water butt and don't know what the plug in the lid is for, do I need to take it out? :)

Comments

• wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    Mine doesn't have a plug in the lid which make is it?
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    I expect the plug in the lid is to cover a hole so that you could run a hosepipe into the butt, should you wish to use it that way - water butts have a myriad of uses, besides being coupled to a downpipe for garden-watering purposes.

I'd leave the plug in if you don't have a use for the hole.
  • kimmie
    Options
    Thanx for your replies.... don't know the make but its a tall thin design, same as the one Aldi has recently had on sale :-)
  • NoelleV
    NoelleV Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    I'm hoping to buy a water butt to collect water from the garage roof, over the next couple of weeks.
    Has anyone got on top tips on what to look out for when buying a butt? Or are they all much of a muchness? And I should just choose by price?
    Any advice would be appreciated!
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    Options
    Contact your local council who generally have excellent deals on 'butts' via their waste sites. £20 all in inc stand and diverter kit where I live for 210l.
  • kimmie
    Options
    I chose the tall, slim one as Im collecting the water from shed roof and didnt have much space. Im really happy with it :-D
  • NoelleV
    NoelleV Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all, I'll try the local council and see what offers they have!
  • Fred_Bear_2
    Fred_Bear_2 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    kimmie wrote: »
    Hiya,
    I have just fitted a water butt and don't know what the plug in the lid is for, do I need to take it out? :)

This is the great plug in / plug out dilemma. I have always left the plug in and it has never caused a problem that I know of. You may be worried that the butt will collapse when the butt is emptied, causing a vacuum. However in practice there will be sufficient gaps around the lid to admit air.
  • kimmie
    Options
    Hi Fred, Im still not sure what its for and Im leaving mine in too :-)
  • Fred_Bear_2
    Fred_Bear_2 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure you won't regret it. And it will help stop the mozzies getting in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure