Insurance, chinese takeaway deliveries

Options

Comments

• atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    theres some risk in doing delivery jobs wich youngsters seem to think that because their car is insured they think its fine to do so.

im glad youve informed your insurers.

the hastle of not having properly insured the vehicle would far outweight what your evening weekend night job pay would be.

first would be the police watching you going too an fro place of takeaway (my local plods do this quite a bit), then they pull you after running your VRM through the MID and obtaining your level of insurance cover to confirm no buisiness class.

then they tell you your car is being impounded for not having the correct level of insurance you closely watching the ££££ signs roll infront of your eyes when you see the £150 recovery fee, £25 perday storage fee, £200 fine for incorrect insurance renduring you policy null and void wich means no insurance 3 points added to you licence £45 admin fee to apply the correct level of cover to your policy in order to release your vehicle from pound and update records of your points wich MAY increase the premium as will the level of cover you just added, plus the insurers will up your personal risk because you did something they dont like IN10.

so sir i bow to you for being responsable and oing what many wouldnt do for a quick quid.
  • rodenal
    rodenal Posts: 831 Forumite
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Where I used to live, the police would set up a road block to pull over fast food delivery drivers (Especially the mopeds) on random nights. They thoroughly checked documentation and the vehicles and frequently impounded vehicles / mopeds.

The employers should be checking the employee has correct insurance and the relevant licence

If the op was attempting not to add any cover on then I would worry about this being an issue - but in this case a phonecall has been made and cover added after a series of questions being asked. If the level of cover is incorrect the insurer is at fault here. I realyl doubt the op will ever even need to think about it again. Should plod run the details through business use will be confirmed which should satisfy them, they wont be interested in the detail once it becomes obvious the op has at least attempted to add the correct cover (unless the car has 3 bald tyres, he is driving on a provisional with 12 mates in the car).
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Options
    E
    theres some risk in doing delivery jobs wich youngsters seem to think that because their car is insured they think its fine to do so.

im glad youve informed your insurers.

the hastle of not having properly insured the vehicle would far outweight what your evening weekend night job pay would be.

first would be the police watching you going too an fro place of takeaway (my local plods do this quite a bit), then they pull you after running your VRM through the MID and obtaining your level of insurance cover to confirm no buisiness class.

then they tell you your car is being impounded for not having the correct level of insurance you closely watching the ££££ signs roll infront of your eyes when you see the £150 recovery fee, £25 perday storage fee, £200 fine for incorrect insurance renduring you policy null and void wich means no insurance 3 points added to you licence £45 admin fee to apply the correct level of cover to your policy in order to release your vehicle from pound and update records of your points wich MAY increase the premium as will the level of cover you just added, plus the insurers will up your personal risk because you did something they dont like IN10.

so sir i bow to you for being responsable and oing what many wouldnt do for a quick quid.

It's £20 a day storage and where do the 3 points come into it?
  • malkyh
    malkyh Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Options
    Do you comply with this fully?

Have they also added your part time occupation as something along the lines of "Fast food delivery"

I do comply with this yes. I'm not sure if they added a part time occupation, but I was very specific about what I would be doing and was on the phone for a good half hour.
  • malkyh
    malkyh Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Options
    The employers should be checking the employee has correct insurance and the relevant licence

I can't see the local chinese take away doing this to be honest. They can barely speak English, never mind checking insurance and licence details.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

They couldn't give a flying chuff! They just want some sucker to deliver it, I know I did it for 18 months and it was the lowest point of my life, the customers treat you like scum, most of the customers are scum, spending more on fast food in a night from their benefits than you can afford to spend on buying food in a week whilst you are working a second job just to do so. I would often drive 80 miles a night, it destroys your car (breaks,pads etc). When is snows you would get !!!!heads living in the middle of nowhere down farm tracks making orders as they wouldn't risk it themselves going out.
    I finally quit when at the end of one week after costs I came home with £18 after working four nights. It just isn't worth it. Be warned OP.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They couldn't give a flying chuff! They just want some sucker to deliver it, I know I did it for 18 months and it was the lowest point of my life, the customers treat you like scum, most of the customers are scum, spending more on fast food in a night from their benefits than you can afford to spend on buying food in a week whilst you are working a second job just to do so. I would often drive 80 miles a night, it destroys your car (breaks,pads etc). When is snows you would get !!!!heads living in the middle of nowhere down farm tracks making orders as they wouldn't risk it themselves going out.
    I finally quit when at the end of one week after costs I came home with £18 after working four nights. It just isn't worth it. Be warned OP.

An employer who does not exercise due care with regard to drivers (Whether using company cars or there own cars) could potentially face very severe consequences. Due car would be checking on a regular basis eg annually(And retaining a copy) of drivers licences and ideally there insurance to ensure they are qualified to drive. If this is not done and a driver who is banned has a major accident can see the management team and / or directors prosecuted with severe penalties.

Large companies tend to take this requirement seriously as they are alerted to it, smaller businesses often only take action after they have had a problem
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    E

yeh quite correct its six points for no/invalid insurance.
  • Notmyrealname
    Notmyrealname Posts: 4,003 Forumite
    Options
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    E

Indeed. Its 6 points for driving uninsured. When you are using a vehicle for business purposes and you don't have business cover, you're uninsured and treated as such.
  • Notmyrealname
    Notmyrealname Posts: 4,003 Forumite
    Options
    An employer who does not exercise due care with regard to drivers

With most takeaway delivery drivers for chinese and such, they say you're self employed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure