We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Error with credit check for mortgage application

I am a first time buyer with a deposit to put down, and recently went to see a mortgage advisor to find out about getting a mortgage. She has tried 3 different lenders who have all come back and refused. The reason given was that I owe money from 6 months ago for a utility at my current address, and that it is about to default. My boyfriend and I rent at the moment and moved into our current address just over 6 months ago. I have carried out my own checks online with Experia and Equifax, and both have come back clear. My mortgage advisor has seen both these reports and believes that this utility issue the mortgage lender companies have come across is a mistake. I have had no letters telling me I owe any money. I've checked my bank statements for the past 7 months and all payments for utilities (gas, electricity, water) have come out with no problem. I'm waiting to see if the mortgage advisor can find a company who will agree that it is a mistake and give me a mortgage, but I'm really confused. How do I go about finding out what this issue is and how to get it either erased from my records if it's a mistake, or if I do owe money to find out who to and how to pay it? I don't understand why anything would show up on the checks the companies are running that wouldn't show up on the reports i've carried out online? I'm really worried about this and how it's going to affect things for me, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks :)
«1

Comments

  • The_J
    The_J Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    This is bizarre. If it isn't on your credit file how would the lenders see this?

    Who are the lenders you have tried?
    The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.
  • Jen1980_2
    Jen1980_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thanks for your reply, it was Nationwide, Halifax and a company whose name I can't remember (not a name i've heard of before) who the mortgage advisor recommended as they apparently don't carry out credit checks (but obviously they must do!). I really don't understand and don't have a clue what to do about it. They say they can't disclose anymore information so I don't know who it is I am meant to be in debt to, if I did I would be able to contact them to try to sort it out. Halifax are currently reviewing it and I'm hoping they may decide to agree that it is a mistake.
  • jason1231972
    jason1231972 Posts: 350 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2012 at 6:22PM
    On your own credit files, have you both checked things like aliases, previous addresses, etc. for any problems? Are either of you linked to somebody else (ex-partner, for example) who may have been naughty?

    If none of the above apply, your broker's computer is like something out of Little Britain! Is she in possession of and actually using the correct details for you both? Any slips on D.O.B, etc??

    ETA: if your broker states that these household-name providers don't do credit checks, she needs ditching like a hot potato ;)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Jen1980 wrote: »
    who the mortgage advisor recommended as they apparently don't carry out credit checks (but obviously they must do!).

    Change your mortgage advisor.

    Are you sure that its in respect of a utility bill?
  • Jen1980_2
    Jen1980_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Everything on the credit reports are correct and I'm certain it isn't to do with any ex-partners or anything like that. Maybe I need to double check the mortgage advisors details for me are all right.....her computer definitely keeps saying no! Went through everything with her in detail though. Maybe I need to try going to someone else? Would this bring my credit rating down more though because of all the checks now being carried out on me?
  • Jen1980_2
    Jen1980_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Definitely a utility bill, all the companies have confirmed that. Maybe I'll try someone else then, I think I will if I don't hear anything positive back from her on Monday.
  • GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Are you sure the broker didnt say a lender who dont credit SCORE rather than credit search?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • The_J
    The_J Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2012 at 6:53PM
    GMS wrote: »
    Are you sure the broker didnt say a lender who dont credit SCORE rather than credit search?

    This will be what was meant. Of course, rather than say so you should scream SACK THE BROKER SACK THE BROKER.
    Jen1980 wrote: »
    Definitely a utility bill, all the companies have confirmed that. Maybe I'll try someone else then, I think I will if I don't hear anything positive back from her on Monday.

    Halifax and Nationwide would not be that specific about the issue I don't think so I am unsure how this information has been obtained.

    Can you post the entire situation (age, income, borrowing, deposit, property details etc.) so we can work out if it's anything else and the broker is making !!!! up.
    The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.
  • Dave_Ham
    Dave_Ham Posts: 6,045 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This sounds like rubbish - estate agent mortgage broker???

    You need both of your reports from Experian, Equifax and Call Credit and then get someone qualified to look over them.

    There will be and almost always is an answer.

    Presume 3rd lender is Aldermore, which is probably the one who gave the broker the information...
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Jen1980_2
    Jen1980_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thanks for all the replies. Yes it was Aldermore....it may have been credit score rather than check that was said, can't remember the wording to be honest, I don't know a lot about this sort of thing, just assumed it would be relatively simple as have never had any credit issues before. Will post some more info up if that would help, I'm hoping that I will get some positive news on Monday though as the broker (with an estate agent) is trying to get the decision changed based on the credit reports I've provided. Is it possible for the lenders to see information that wouldn't show on these reports? I just don't understand why I wouldn't have received a letter from anyone if I owed them money......and to my knowledge I have paid every utility bill and any other payments (Debenhams card, mobile phone bill, car finance in the past etc) with no problems.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.