Bus lane driving fines - Edinburgh Council?

Options
13»

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    small print?

traffic_sign_bus_taxi_dp_220x150.jpg
    If in doubt,stay out of the bus lane

If you are going slow enough to read those sign you could be a hazard to other motorists. It is not easy to read signs with print that small until you are very close and they are located @ the start of the bus lane. Then it may be difficult to manoeuvre into the offside lane. Many lemmings follow your "mantra", causing unnecessary traffic congestion.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    If you are going slow enough to read those sign you could be a hazard to other motorists. It is not easy to read signs with print that small until you are very close and they are located @ the start of the bus lane. Then it may be difficult to manoeuvre into the offside lane.

It works a lot better if you assume that you can't use the bus lane, so move over in advance, then read the sign as soon as it's practical to do so, and if you can legally use the lane you can easily move left into the completely empty* bus lane and sail past all the lemmings that can't be bothered to read the sign.

* This is based on local experience. I hear Edinburgh actually has a useful 24hr bus service. I've yet to experience such wonders in the various parts of the country I've lived in.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lum wrote: »
    It works a lot better if you assume that you can't use the bus lane, so move over in advance, then read the sign as soon as it's practical to do so, and if you can legally use the lane you can easily move left into the completely empty* bus lane and sail past all the lemmings that can't be bothered to read the sign.

* This is based on local experience. I hear Edinburgh actually has a useful 24hr bus service. I've yet to experience such wonders in the various parts of the country I've lived in.

We do here. After about 3am buses are 'only' every half hour!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 May 2012 at 5:41AM
    Options
    If you are going slow enough to read those sign you could be a hazard to other motorists. It is not easy to read signs with print that small until you are very close and they are located @ the start of the bus lane. Then it may be difficult to manoeuvre into the offside lane. Many lemmings follow your "mantra", causing unnecessary traffic congestion.

lol.what nonsense.
    The signs are located along the bus lane.
    The limit is 30 generally. Maybe I have superhuman eyesight?
    As stated,stay out of the lanes unless you know you can use them.
    Also keep in mind the majority of these road users are repeat users of these roads.
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rev_henry wrote: »
    The same as in, er, every other city. Why do Edinburgh motorists have such an issue?

It seems the folk not using both lanes after a bus lane are the ones causing the congestion, an empty left lane and a full right one really annoys me, that's why folk use bus lanes
  • custardy
    Options
    jb66 wrote: »
    It seems the folk not using both lanes after a bus lane are the ones causing the congestion, an empty left lane and a full right one really annoys me, that's why folk use bus lanes

paying for shopping annoys me.
    perhaps i should just shoplift ;)
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lol.what nonsense.
    Also keep in mind the majority of these road users are repeat users of these roads.

I drive all over the country often on roads I'm unfamiliar with, I have enough time to read the open and closed times on the bus lanes and use them when allowed.

It's a shame a lot of places have permanent bus lanes as London has plenty of bus lanes that are open when it's not rush hour or are only bus lanes during the rush hour on that direction eg into the city in the morning and out of the city in the evening.

I'm so glad most people have not taken the time to understand bus lanes as the vast vast majority sit in the normal carriageway when the bus is open and I can drive up the bus lane and save myself ages.

It annoys me when people get the 'arris when you use the bus lane (As they should be doing when it's open) and then try and block you from regaining the main carriageway when you need to over take say a parked car. If everyone knew the highway code and used the bus lane when open the congestion would be reduced.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 May 2012 at 10:47AM
    Options
    lol.what nonsense.
    It is not big or clever to flame :A
    Your eyesight must be far better than mine (and many others reading this post?) if you can read those signs when travelling at 30 mph.
    I also find it helpful to remember what times the lanes on my regular journeys may be used. I was merely making an observation that these signs are difficult to read. Thankfully most posters are not as sanctimonious as you appear to be
    Originally Posted by Lum It works a lot better if you assume that you can't use the bus lane, so move over in advance, then read the sign as soon as it's practical to do so, and if you can legally use the lane you can easily move left into the completely empty* bus lane and sail past all the lemmings that can't be bothered to read the sign.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • custardy
    Options
    It is not big or clever to flame :A
    Your eyesight must be far better than mine (and many others reading this post?) if you can read those signs when travelling at 30 mph.
    I also find it helpful to remember what times the lanes on my regular journeys may be used. I was merely making an observation that these signs are difficult to read. Thankfully most posters are not as sanctimonious as you appear to be

my eyesight is nothing special
    I wear glasses but am yet to be required to do so when driving.
    Im not sure what part of my post you have decided is flaming.

have a look here at just how well posted the bus times are

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Dalkeith+Rd,+Edinburgh,+City+of+Edinburgh+EH16,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=55.933818,-3.166337&spn=0.022573,0.063858&client=opera&oe=utf-8&geocode=FRaAVQMduKbP_w&hnear=Dalkeith+Rd,+Edinburgh,+City+of+Edinburgh+EH16,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=55.934958,-3.168518&panoid=MFM4thcz2rlo9uavFPEWWw&cbp=12,285.54,,0,-1.27
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure