Posting a Mobile Phone with Royal Mail

Options
Hopefully this thread is in the right place.

A month or so ago I sent a couple of old mobile phones to CEX to sell them. At the post office I requested First Class Recorded Delivery and the woman behind the counter asked what was in the package and what the total value was, as compensation is only available up to £46. I told her it was two old mobile phones and the value was roughly £40. She said, "ooh, you've told me they're mobile phones now so you wouldn't be eligible for any compensation. If you're sending mobile phones, cash or jewellery you have to send via Special Delivery to be eligible for any compensation at all".

Is this true? I've scoured the Royal Mail website and can find such info about cash and jewellery but nothing about mobile phones.

I have just sold another old mobile phone on Ebay for £41. When I listed it I set the postage to be around £8 for Special Delivery, based on what I'd been told last time.

During the listing an interested bidder contacted me to say it was ridiculous to have such high postage on a low value (slightly damaged) mobile phone and asked if I would consider adding First Class Recorded as a postage option. I explained why I had done it, but added First Class Recorded for £4 saying if the buyer would be happy to take that risk it was OK with me.

The winning bidder (not the guy who contacted me) paid via Paypal and selected the First Class Recorded option rather than Special Delivery.

When I go to the Post Office I can envisage the same conversation as last time. I can see I might get flustered again and feel pressured into taking the more expensive option, when actually First Class Recorded might be fine.

Does anyone have a link to any concrete information regarding sending mobile phones via anything other than Special Delivery? If I send it via First Class Recorded, as requested by the buyer, and it goes missing will I be eligible for a claim?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Post Office may be confusing the International Signed for rules for mobile phones which limits claims to £50 - http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/delivery-options-international/international-signed/faqs

Special delivery is recommended for domestic destinations for money, jewellry etc - http://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/personal-customers/sending-mail/sending-valuables-and-cash
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • PollyOnAMission
    Options
    The woman in the shop was so adamant (bordering on aggressive!) that I took her word for it without fully understanding what she was trying to tell me.

I did see that info about International Signed for; perhaps that was it. Although she was fully aware that the package wasn't going abroad. She was a scary lady!

Do you think I will be covered if I send the phone (worth £41) via First Class Recorded then?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,320 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The woman in the shop was so adamant (bordering on aggressive!) that I took her word for it without fully understanding what she was trying to tell me.

I did see that info about International Signed for; perhaps that was it. Although she was fully aware that the package wasn't going abroad. She was a scary lady!

Do you think I will be covered if I send the phone (worth £41) via First Class Recorded then?

The postage sticky thread on this forum explains it better than I can. It all depends what you are looking for protection against- so have a read through the first post in said thread.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PollyOnAMission
    Options
    Thank you very much, I will have a look for that now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure