NEW Mortgage Exit Fees Discussion

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quite a few lenders have started showing the closure amount and they include the redemption charge and Early repayment charges on their statement. You are not the first one to mention it and initially think they had actually been charged at this point. Although this is now beginning to sound like something different.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is it possible it was there before but was included as a total with the early redemption penalty for the fix?

For example, it could have been;-

Year 1 = 2% of amount redeemed + £90

Year 2 = 1% of amount redeemed + £90

Year 3+ = £90?

You'd need to check the ERP amount for the first two years to confirm.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • aleenajoe
    Options
    I accepted from the coffer accuse appointment is that absorption can alone absolutely be claimed if traveling to court, so why go to cloister for a few pounds of interest?
  • kamiii
    Options
    Hi All,

i took out a mortgage with Bristol & West in 2006. I'm now about to switch mortgage but have found out i have to settle the £195 Exit fee. Will i be able to claim this back?

many thanks
  • kingstreet
    Options
    If it was explained to you in 2006 and stated on the KFI and mortgage offer, no, you can't claim it back.

The FSA ruled that any increase between inception/new product and redemption could not be charged, but it did not stop exit fees being charged if they were what was originally agreed.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • kamiii
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    If it was explained to you in 2006 and stated on the KFI and mortgage offer, no, you can't claim it back.

The FSA ruled that any increase between inception/new product and redemption could not be charged, but it did not stop exit fees being charged if they were what was originally agreed.

Ok i see, I will have to check what price it was on our original offer. thanks for your help.
  • kingstreet
    Options
    The discharge admin fee was £195 on the B&W February 2006 KFI I've just looked at to check.
  • hasikhushi
    Options
    Some lenders are treating the deeds despatch as a separate fee but others treat as one and its a nice conversation
  • pichaerl
    Options
    It's all about 'mortgage exit administration fees' or paid when closing a mortgage account (including shifting to a new lender). It's supposedly to cover staff, legal and admin costs.
  • ravenk
    ravenk Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    I have also just been stung with a Mortgage discharge fee of £105 by the Newbury Building Society.
    I'm about to finish my mortgage and figured I might leave a £1,000 outstanding to keep a relationship open with them. When I discussed this , I was told nope ...we want all the money paid back at mortgage end (29th of March).
    To be honest they don't understand the word customer ot relationship. your just a number on a Database.
    They then informed me of the £105 discharge fee !
    A final sting in the tail.
    After 15 years with them , this what they think of my custom.
    Never missed a payment in 15 years.

Tempted to cause them misery by underpaying amount due by £10 and let them generate paper work and hassle chasing me for it :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure