Council tax rebanding

I am a new user and after a bit of advice please from any-one with experience, good or bad from this..

I mortgaged my property in 1981 but according to the calculations on this site I would be just over the limit to get my banding changed, however my next door neighboor is the band below. Would I have a case for reimbursement?

Another question is I re-mortgaged in 1986 and the calculations show I would be in the bracket to recieve a refund, would I be able to act on this if the first would be refused?

I would appreciate any advice



  • Sooty0404
    Sooty0404 Posts: 250 Forumite
    Hi Jo

    Council Tax Bands were set on April 1st 1991 so it depends what your house was worth on that date. If a neighbour with a similar size house is banded lower you have a good case.
    I have just had my banding lowered for pretty much the same reason and am expecting a refund cheque for about £2k any time now.

    PM me if you need further assistance as I don't usually frequent this particular board.
    Money won't buy you happiness
    But at least you can be miserable in comfort

    BCSC Member No 46
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards