We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Aloe Vera Plant

Options
gibson123
gibson123 Posts: 1,733 Forumite
I have an aloe vera plant that lives in my bathroom and is thriving, I need to re-pot and this is a problem. The bigger pot will not fit on any bathroom shelfs and TBH the spiky leaves are hazardous to anyone who bends down in the bathroom.

It likes where it is, it is lovely and warm and of course gets steamy, the rest of my house I keep on the cool side, will my plant do well anywhere else?

Comments

• amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    I keep mine in unheated porch and it's been OK over the winter.
  • blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Options
    You may want to move it anyway, so you can bend down without worry :) but if not, there is a way to pot up plants in the same size container

Carefully tip the plant and rootball out, having watered the day before. Carefully cut away (using an old kitchen knife) a section of the rootball so there is now a slice missing from top to bottom. Put plant carefully back into pot and fill the gap where the roots were with fresh compost. Once it has recovered from this, repeat with a difference section fo rootball next year.
    If the top growth is congested you can use this opportunity to carefully tweak off any plantlets and pot them up on their own
    HTH
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    It will be fine. My house is usually 14-18C and there are so many aloe vera plants all over the place that grow really well, we're always growing new ones.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • AdamBorzy
    AdamBorzy Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    The thing you must remember about this plant is that it is not frost tolerant. I keep mine near the window so it can get a lot of sun.
  • gibson123
    gibson123 Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will ove it to the livingroom and take a cutting for the bathroom , very helpful
  • AdamBorzy
    AdamBorzy Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    gibson123 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone I will ove it to the livingroom and take a cutting for the bathroom , very helpful

You're welcome gibson123. I’m happy to help anytime. :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport