New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: House prices 'still uncertain', Halifax says

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
23 replies 3.5K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"House prices continued to "fluctuate quite widely" last month, says Halifax, as the average price dropped 2.4% ..."
Read the full story:
House prices 'still uncertain', Halifax says

OfficialStamp.gif

This thread is not in the 'discuss house prices and economy board' as that is only open to those logged into the forum so anyone coming from the news story may not be able to see it.

Replies

• brit1234brit1234 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    MSE_Helen wrote: »
    MSE News: House prices 'still uncertain', Halifax says

I say they are going down. :dance:

Average House price
    Halifax =
    £159,883 :grin:
    Nationwide = £163,327
    Land Registry = £160,372

The indexes are starting to break the magic £160k barrier.:)
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • Yes they are falling but still 4 to 5 times their true value.

• ChimpofdoomChimpofdoom Forumite
    806 posts
    Have to say house prices seem to be falling at a pretty steady rate and they may drop further, especially as the competition to attract a buyer increases!

Now if only sellers would be realistic about their prices and the offers they receive!
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • LoopgamesLoopgames Forumite
    805 posts
    I reckon once the Olympics is out of the way we will see some dramatic falls in prices and rents too. Am trying to find a one bdrm flat to rent and prices have gone up in east London. From £650 to £800.
    (per month)
    How dramatic exactly, I don't know.
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You still haven't got yourself on the ladder?

See the reason behind this sudden 2.4% drop? This time next month they will up in price.

I understand the 2.2% rise in March (because of the SDLT) pretty much had to be followed by an equivalent fall, but how can you tell about the following month?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever the estate agent we registered with to house-search sends a new listing, it is accompanied by a graph of house price average for the location (Berkshire). The graph is gently but very steadily going down, No wild fluctuations here, then.

I don't think anyone needs to feel 'panicked' into buying at the moment.
  • zappaheyzappahey Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loopgames wrote: »
    I reckon once the Olympics is out of the way we will see some dramatic falls in prices and rents too.

Really? How is the end of the games in London going to lower prices here in Wiltshire? Or anywhere else for that matter?
    What goes around - comes around
  • kurgybkurgyb Forumite
    31 posts
    House price where I am in SW London are not going down.......not recently anyhow. places still getting very near to asking price and plenty of buyers. It is relative to location. It obviously has slowed but it's moving steadily.....
  • edited 23 May 2012 at 6:45PM
    LoopgamesLoopgames Forumite
    805 posts
    edited 23 May 2012 at 6:45PM
    zappahey wrote: »
    Really? How is the end of the games in London going to lower prices here in Wiltshire? Or anywhere else for that matter?

It's called the law of averages....

I'm also basing it on the feedback from the local agents who have mentioned it themselves that prices after the olympics in the east london area will be going down. Whether this happens due to the olympics being over or just a seasonal fluctuation will be seen soon enough.
  • brit1234brit1234 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    You still haven't got yourself on the ladder?

No, enjoying the continuous price falls and saving a bigger deposit. No rush prices will be cheaper next year even in London.:cool:
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support