PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB - homebuyers report, quotes etc. please help!?

Options
I think I'm losing the plot and am hoping somebody can steer me it the right direction. Depending on which friend or relative I ask, I'm being told one thing or another and obviously everybody thinks I've done something wrong or they'd do it different.
I'm a FTB, have had and offer accepted on a house and a mortgage offer accepted.
The homebuyers report has come through today and the main 'red light' areas are - gas fire, boiler and meter that the surveyor hasn't seen certificates for. For this I plan to ask the estate agent tomorrow if they know if there's any? If not, can I ask the vendor to pay for these checks or will it have to be me? Also the fuse box is old, which I'd noticed on viewing, and the report has come back to say they don't have to do anything with it, but it could do with updating. Again for this, should I ask the vendor if they wish to get a quote, or arrange for a quote myself?
I hope somebody can help as depending on who I speak with I've got answers ranging from 'your parents house is off the same age and in the same condition and you live with it ok there' to 'I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, the mortgage has only been offered because youve put down a good deposit and otherwise the bank make you have it done' :(
Also, the solicitors are ringing me for payment of the searches fees tomorrow. Am I able to hold of paying for searches that may be unessecary until I know about more about the reports etc?
Many many thanks in advance for any help or advice :o

Comments

• skinnyman9000
    Options
    I've recently had a homebuyers survey on a house were buying, it picked up things like old boiler, old fusebox etc.

Yes the house could do with a new boiler at some point, but if it's working fine now what's the problem? Has it been well maintained? Have the vendors got proof of servicing?

Also the fusebox, yes it might not meet todays regulations, but that doesn't mean it's no good, I'm sure the vendors would go on living with it if they stayed in the house.

I would arrange to have the boiler and electrics tested. If they come back and say the boiler is fine, then it's fine. If you need a new fusebox you're looking at round £300-£400 I'd imagine, if it NEEDS doing you could negotiate that with the vendors.

Try not to worry about the "I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole" comments. My friend bought his house as a new build, so when I showed him my survey he nearly had a heart attack, but when he moved in his house he was concerned if the paint wasn't perfect.

Arrange to have any tests carried out and then go from there. I'm in a very similar position myself and I've swinging from perfectly calm and level headed to "oh my god I've made a massive mistake", so you're not the only one.
  • littlesheepy
    Options
    Thanks ever so much. I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps swinging from the 'oh my god, what am I doing' to the 'it's fine, It'll all go ok' very reassuring the hear that, thank you.
    As you say, to be honest, the people who've said about 'wouldn't touch with a barge pole' are, exactly like you, the ones who'd worry if it was painted the wrong shade of magnolia. Something would always be wrong, which is why it annoys/gets to me.
    Think I'll start by ringing the vendors tomorrow and checking if they've got any boiler /gas certificates and see about getting a quote for the electrics. 1 step at a time :o
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    gas fire, boiler and meter that the surveyor hasn't seen certificates for. For this I plan to ask the estate agent tomorrow if they know if there's any? If not, can I ask the vendor to pay for these checks or will it have to be me? Also the fuse box is old, which I'd noticed on viewing, and the report has come back to say they don't have to do anything with it, but it could do with updating. Again for this, should I ask the vendor if they wish to get a quote, or arrange for a quote myself?

Also, the solicitors are ringing me for payment of the searches fees tomorrow. Am I able to hold of paying for searches that may be unessecary until I know about more about the reports etc?
    Many many thanks in advance for any help or advice :o
    In the first instance, don't ask the agent to deal with such issues. Have your solicitor request copies of any service/inspection reports via the vendor's solicitor as part of the enquiries process. Then you can be sure they are completely kosher.

If you want further information, decide what you want, be it a gas safety check or electrical report and decide who you want to pay for it. You can ask the vendor (this time via the agent) or you can agree to go halves, or pay for it yourself. There is no hard and fast rule.

Finally, pay the search fees, but ask your solicitor to hold the searches until you are happy you have all the "condition" issues finished before they go ahead.

Please discuss the issues you have raised here with your solicitor to establish how they think you should best approach them. Same with any future concerns.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • littlesheepy
    littlesheepy Posts: 570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Excellent advice thanks kingstreet. Didn't realise I could pay the search fees but ask them to hold back.
    Being a FTB buyer, doing it alone and with no friends or family that have moved house in the last 20 years, it's difficult to get advice. I was even unsure that it'd be the solicitors who do this sort of chasing for you. Will be getting on the case this afternoon, thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure