PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House from council?

Options
Hi, im asking for my friend, cause he haven't got internet.

1 - What he is thinking about is to apply for house from council. But he is not sure if he will get it. He got about 204 wages every week and than he just get tax credits and child benefit for his 3 kids. In total theyve got about 1900 every four weeks. He is not sure if this is not too much to have a chance for a house.

2 - They've got one more problem, because someone said to them that if they got other house from council, even if its abroad (theyve got house from council abroad), they will not get it because of that. Is it true?

Thank u for any respond

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If they have a governent funded house abroad, why do they need to try to take a very scarce and much needed one from a deserving family who have no other choice of where to live?

There are not enough council homes to satisfy the demand and the council will suggest they rent privately as many other people have to do when living in this country.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't believe you, and I don't believe this post either:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=51410709&highlight=#post51410709

If your friend wanted a council house they would just apply for one.
    Been away for a while.
  • kubaroo
    kubaroo Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    U dont believe in what? We had noisy naighbours, but they had to move out, because landlord had to spend a lot of money on fixing house since they moved in (he said about 2900), and he didnt want them to stay cause there was 7 complains to social service and all of them has been from our neighbours, not from us. We just complain to their landlord.

And my friends are like that, scared about everything, i told go and apply but.......i know them and they are like that, what can i do
  • motherofstudents
    Options
    Tell them to try Stoke on Trent.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be surprised if they could get a council house on that wage, but then I dont know what having kids entitles you to.

They should just privately rent on that wage. Or move to their council house abroad (or let it go to another needy family)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure