Treasurer for Parents Association

Options
Hi There, I have just become a treasurer for parents association.

I have been trying to find guidance on rules that have to be followed but haven't had much luck! I know that letters that are sent to companies for donations need to have a signature but what else should I know?

Any help appreciated - thanks

Comments

• foxwales
    foxwales Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    Check out the charity commissions website. Info on there.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You might find the http://www.pta.org.uk/ useful.

Basically, I'd say transparency was the way to go: you can't say you're a charity if you're not, so say who and what you are, what you want, why you want it, and what's in it for the organisation you're approaching.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • heretolearn_2
    heretolearn_2 Posts: 3,565 Forumite
    Options
    What is the legal structure of the parents association? Are you are registered charity?

As treasurer you have a lot of responsibilities beyond signing letters! A look at the charity commission site will help even if you are not a charity. Just bear in mind that the 'buck stops here' when it comes to anything financial. So if a parent suspects that the 50p they donated went into someone's pocket instead of the fund...etc etc. so make sure there are strong procedures in place for handling all funds, i.e. all cash to be counted in front of a witness, banked immediately and so on.
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • Lizzieb151
    Lizzieb151 Posts: 230 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, yes the charity is registered but as of yet I haven't had the accounts handed over. I am a finance professional so am aware of the importance of keeping records but wanted to know about the little rules i.e. making sure that all letters are signed by a member of the association.
    For example what information do I have to record whena company has made a donation?

I had a look on the charity commission websoite buit couldn't find any specifics really.

Thank you
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lizzieb151 wrote: »
    For example what information do I have to record whena company has made a donation?
    Same as in business: who, when, what for, how much, how.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport