Progression into Work Course - JSA

Options
Hi,

I have just signed on to JSA reluctantly, after being out of a job for 2/3 weeks. And within the first week of JSA i have been forced to attend some "Progression to Work" course already - hold up i havent even got a grip on my job search and they are already threatening to cut me off if i dont go.

What can i expect from this course? They are saying that they will help me with my CV, interview techniques and transferbale skills. Its 9-4 for a week. But im worried its going to be very patronising and talking down to me.

What can i expect from this?

Charlie.

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I think you should go along with an open mind and be grateful that you're getting this opportunity so early in your job-search.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • charlie23_2
    Options
    True, i will look at it positivly
  • Russe11
    Russe11 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    Options
    Wait till you do... I think its unit 3 about money management, if its what i'm thinking about. You will think how on earth do they stretch this stuff out.

What you have to understand though that you might learn some thing on the course, if not at least you will meet those that really really do need the help.

You should get plenty of chances to actually do your job searching and apply for jobs as well as CV building.

You will have to Name, Sign and Date endless forms/work packs, all to be signed off(thats so the provider of the course can rake in the money).

Every course/qualification you do through the job centre will include this stuff and i've just done a course which some have been waiting weeks if not months for.

I actually found the course I got put on quite entertaining, this is mainly because the tutor openly addmitted most of it was a compleate load on unrealistic rubbish, but that also how many unemployed people are being "tripped up" finding employment for what appears very simple reasons.

On the course there was skilled/unskilled people, 18/19 year olds upto 55s, those that said they where quite happy with there £142 a fornights and their rent paid enjoying the free time, others pannicing they can't pay their bills/mortage this month, through to those who said they are not living with their partner at the moment as they where happy like this as the other/kids where better off that way... the person I felt the most for was a lad who was living in his car spending all his JSA on fuel and insurance.

A eye opener indeed, well that is the days the course operater actually managed to get a tutor to turn up, or the laptops work etc etc. You will be allowed to miss a day if you have a Job interveiw, miss a day due to no tutor, find where the class is held is double booked... all in all if its as well organised as the one I experienced you might end up doing a day or two if your lucky, plus should get your travel costs covered.

Go in with a open mind, then report back.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is hard to get a long-term unemployed person back into the work place for many reasons. Some people claiming JSA complain on these forums how little and how late job seeking/training courses are arranged for them and wish it kicked in sooner.

Perhaps its a better strategy to give the help upfront rather than much later down the line?

I do expect that the course won't fit all and is probably going to be quite basic. Then again, perhaps it needs to be.

One of my friends used to help unemployed youths into work on a deprived estate and it wasn't uncommon to find that they were illiterate. Of course, they wouldn't tell her that they couldn't read or write, they would just muck around and refuse to participate rather than confess that they couldn't fill in an application form.
  • Elvisia
    Elvisia Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These courses are usually very basic, however, they sometimes throw up an idea you hadn't thought of, I got quite a lot out of their CV and Interview course, even though I used to teach the same course when I was at university. If the tutor seems reasonable do ask them questions, as they'll be pleased to talk to someone who's actually interested in what they've got to say. And these course are always extremely entertaining! I felt like I was in an episode of League of Gentlemen.

My favourite moment was seeing the sign in the kitchen on a large window that said "do not open this window, unless using it as a form of escape". Apparently it was an alternative fire escape, but the notice was hilariously worded!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure