We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Are some types of cherry poisonous?

Options
ALIBOBSY
ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Ok well we have a cherry tree in our garden which I know is edible as we planted it-not had many cherries yet,but this is its third year here and its covered with blossom so hoping for a good year.

Alongside the edge of the pavement where we live is quite a wide strip of grass and this year the council have been and planted a load of trees in this. These trees are also covered in blossoms and look so like our cherry I am wondering if they are going to be edible or not.

No labels on the trees, but the leaves are very simular to ours. Both lots of blossom are white, but with different coloured stamens.

Obviously will watch and see what grows, but want to know if any type of cherry is poisonous before I give anything a go lol.
Will try for a picture if the rain eases off.
Ali x
"Overthinking every little thing
Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Comments

• Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    Dunno. I used to pick wild cherries, though it was not easy as the wild cherry tree is very tall. I think your main problem is mistaking a cherry for some other species, though I cannot think of any lookalikes.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I suspect the council have planted "bird cherries" [try Google], which as name implies are for the birds and good blossom. My local Morrison's and Lost gardens of Heligan, and no doubt thousands of others have done this wildlife friendly planting

They are not poisonous, but the birds will be up & scoffing well before you are, and they are only small beak sized cherries anyway, so not worth the effort IMO
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got two of those cherry trees from Morrisons and last year saw my first tiny fruit. Next morning they were gone, so much for trying to make the garden wildlife friendly and encourage the birds. I'll cover them up this year,
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Farway
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I got two of those cherry trees from Morrisons and last year saw my first tiny fruit. Next morning they were gone, so much for trying to make the garden wildlife friendly and encourage the birds. I'll cover them up this year,

Surely the birds ate them while you where still in bed?

Just how wildlife friendly do you want to be? The birds loved them, why would you want to net them?

You did encourage the birds, but you were still in your pit when they had their breakfast:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There was another cherry tree next to them with 'bird cherries' on it, they ignored that.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Farway
    Options
    :p
    SailorSam wrote: »
    There was another cherry tree next to them with 'bird cherries' on it, they ignored that.

As I would ignore the corned dog sarnies for the lobster :beer:
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As far as I know, no species of cherry fruit is poisonous. However, many taste horribly sour or bitter.

The birds don't care although I have also noticed that they'll take dessert (sweet?) cherries long before they get round to the less palatable ones, often waiting until well into the foothills of winter when hunger makes them a lot more acceptable!
  • Budget_Gardener
    Options
    Basically, if it's a large enough cherry fruit to bother with it's likely to be perfectly edible. The tiny-fruited bird cherries are ornamental and I don't think they're edible. I don't, however, think they're poisonous.
    That said, if it's a cherry tree that isn't protected by netting, you'll be lucky to get the fruits before the blackbirds do!
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I know, no species of cherry fruit is poisonous. However, many taste horribly sour or bitter.

Don't Morello cherries taste very sour? Ideal for jams and pies though.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport