Insurance and older dogs, or is my girl now uninsurable?

Hi, my now nine year old GSD b**ch was barely insured last year with a large excess and an expensive, basic policy.

This year the premium has been- terrifying! I am wondering if I have reached the point where insuring her is just not realistic. I know her breed and the anticipated problems with her back legs etc will be whacking the cost up.

Is there any potential for insurance for just accident and 3rd party liability? I know this is done with horses and am thinking it may be a good idea to look into for her.

Comments

• I think most people eventually get to the point when the insurance costs become excessive when a pet gets to old age - even if ongoing medication for something like arthritis is needed, it's often cheaper to get a prescription & buy online than have the insurance.

I got to this point with Ben - he had reached the point where I wouldn't put him through extensive / difficult treatment (eg an op) due to his age so I put a set amount away each month to cover the odd trip to the vet (he was a nightmare at eating things he shouldn't!).

I got a prescription for his metacam & bought this online - this worked out at £15/month.

Dogs trust membership is £25/year and offers 3rd party liability
    http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/giving/membership/default.aspx#.T5z0hXi_OfY

I'm not sure about policies covering accidents only and I guess it's a personal choice of whether you want to continue with the premiums / or whether you'd be able to cover the odd treatment that may be required.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 April 2012 at 11:33AM
    I honestly think you are better to either literally save what the insurance premiums would have cost in a specific savings account or decide that you can afford it, if the worst comes to the worst.

A friend has just paid over £400 for an emergency operation, out of hours, on her 10 year old girl and said "well that wasn't so bad- we would have spent over £800 in insurance over the years and no claims."

I do think that pet insurance helps to boost vet costs (as does car insurance with car claims!) and sometimes people put their pets through all kinds of surgery to prolong their lives. Now that we have the knowledge surgery is much more invasive and perhaps that is not always for the best.

For third party insurance I am a supporter of Dogs Trust and have been for years so that came as a bonus when I wanted to take my last hound into school under the R.E.A.D. programme and needed public liability.

Accident insurance. Maybe that is available as an add-on to your house insurance?
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You may find it useful to chat to your vet as well about future potential costs, and your dog's health in other respects
    Mutt is 14 and her premiums were getting ridiculous. So I trundled off to the vet to ask his advice, mutt got a quick once over, and we discovered a heart condition that wasn't there before.
    Bottom line in our case - if mutt gets anything serious she will be PTS as her current health won't stand up to any major operations or treatments. Obviously if yours is otherwise healthy, that's a different scenario.
    So you maybe need to discuss worst case scenarios and costs with the vet before making a final decision. However it's possible that you might have some sort of accident cover with your household insurance, and it you're worried about legal costs, you can take out stand alone legal expenses cover on your household insurance. So check that out as well.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Ninasmum
    Ninasmum Posts: 41 Forumite
    Hi all, after some searching I found that Tesco do pet insurance for accident and injury and 3rd party liability so I took that out this afternoon. It was only £70ish for the year. I think it's a good idea to have as her being hit by a car was always one of my biggest fears (people drive like idiots round here, we get lots of boy racers), also as a member of the family is now terminally ill my dog has become very stressed and can be quite aggressive with strangers. Nothing serious but I definitely think 3rd party is not optional!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure