PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dose anyone have any ideas.......

..........on sandwich fillings for a 30th birthday party (on a budget) and how many we would need for abot 100 guests ect ect

thanks SBC

Comments

• ..........on sandwich fillings for a 30th birthday party (on a budget) and how many we would need for abot 100 guests ect ect
    thanks SBC

I'd say you're looking at 3 triangles of sandwich per person (provided there's other stuff to eat as well) - some will have less or none, some will eat more so it evens out. Big bowls of homemade potato salad, pasta salad and coleslaw are cheap to make in quantity and pad out a buffet nicely.

Sandwich fillings - grated cheese, mixed with chopped spring onions, splash of worcester sauce, salt/pepper and mayonnaise - this goes quite a long way. Think the one they have in Greggs has a bit of grated carrot in it too.

Corned beef - mashed up with grated onion, ketchup, worcester sauce, pepper, bit of bovril or beef oxo.

Egg mayonnaise with crispy bacon crumbled into it
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • kittywight
    kittywight Posts: 590 Forumite
    ham and tuna mayo, always seem to be "typical" buffet sarnies also :)

i think the more choice of other food that you offer, maybe less sarnies will be eaten

:)

lots of cocktail sausages, mini sausage rolls, volevonts, mini jellys? , cupcakes :)
  • Or you could do a "make your own sarnie" bar, with piles of wraps (cut in half?) and big bowls of tuna mayo, cheese savoury as per Cider with Rosie ^ ^, coronation chicken etc.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • If it was me, I would do fillings and buffet items of:

grated cheese
    ham
    egg mayo
    tuna mayo
    sausage rolls
    cheese and pineapple sticks (basic cheddar and pineapple pieces)
    pork pies cut in halves or quarters
    quiche cut into bite sized portions
    pizza sliced
    crisps
    nuts

Have some sliced cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce and onions at the side with pickle, mayo and salad cream for people to add themselves. I think I would do enough for 3-4 quarters each of sandwiches, 200 small sausage rolls (frozen or hm), 28 pork pies into quarters, hm quiches into as many slices as possible 100 portions, 1 slice of small pizza each, basic peanuts, basic ready salted crisps, branston pickle and branded salad cream and mayo, mixture of wm and white bread.

I think this could be easily done for £1.50 per head.
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Corned beef? Have you seen the price of a tin lately? If there's a modest budget I would be putting any crispy bacon in an egg mayo sandwich either: I'd slipping some finely shredded iceberg lettuce in it instead. No tuna either: I can't get more than three sandwich-fillings from one tin but perhaps as it's just for myself I'm a bit more lavish as you shouldn't need it thick to get a good taste of it.

I'd be having a ponder about strong-tasting fillings which you won't need much of.

I have absolutely no idea about accurate quantities other than knowing how much you need at home for one or a couple and scaling it up.

Not very helpful, I know. Sorry!

What about cream cheese and cucumber. That "soft cheese" at L!dl is pretty inexpensive.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    mash up some tinned chick peas with mayo and a little chilli or curry paste.
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am doing a buffet for 50 people next week,I got a silverside joint of beef last week,on offer at £4.99 kg.cooked it in the slowcooker.Left it in the fridge overnight then sliced very thinly.I have put it in the freezer,I have done the same with a piece of gammon,£3.49 kg.You end up with heaps of a meat,a lot cheaper than buying prepacked meat.
    I will be making,
    cheese and tomato
    cheese and coleslaw
    egg and salad cream
    egg and tomato
    tuna and sweetcorn
    tuna and saladcream
    roast beef and salad
    roast beef and coleslaw
    roastbeef and tomato
    ham and salad
    cheese and ham.

homemade sausage rolls

A tesco french stick sliced into discs,topped with ketchup and cheese and baked in the oven(mini pizza)usually managed to pick up french sticks for 10p about 8pm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure