1 May 2012 to 30 November 2012 - the save NOT SPEND challenge!

edited 27 April 2012 at 9:52PM in Debt free diaries
15 replies 1.7K views
Flat_EricFlat_Eric Forumite
4.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
edited 27 April 2012 at 9:52PM in Debt free diaries
I want to save as many pennies as I can between now and 30 November. :j I will record the trials and tribulations of my efforts here!

Do I give up buying the Kindle deal of the day in my bid to save the pennies ??? 16 votes

Yes
81% 13 votes
No
18% 3 votes

Replies

• *Louise**Louise* Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Good luck - I shall check in and make an effort myself :D
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • Flat_EricFlat_Eric Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    27 April 2012

Cancelled audible subscription money saved £14.99 x 7 = £104.93 (assuming I don't reinstate before 30th November)
    4.1K Posts
    A notebook to keep track of those spends I resist....

27.4.2012 - Audible book sale
    on offer David Baldacci - The Innocent - £6.99
    sorely tempted but resisted :j

Running total of money saved £6.99
  • debtdalekdebtdalek Forumite
    201 Posts
    I haven't got a kindle but I'm still trying to save some money so can I join in?
    This weeks saving has been buying stamps in advance. I bought 5 books of first class and 3 books of first class large. I reckon that's me sorted for a couple of years!
    I also got a couple of books of second class for my christmas cards. I am not going to give up sending cards as I'm not a huge fan of ecards.
  • AesopAesop Forumite
    23.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Why not download kindle for PC and smartphone if you have one. You can use this to store your kindle books until you get one? Amazon currently have 100 free books you can download the ones you like. Then keep saving for your kindle. I am saving my amazon vouchers for one.
  • I am also a Kindle addict which developed from a tree book addiction. At least my Kindle books don't threaten to take over the house.

I love the Daily Deal but control my spending by having an Amazon account which is topped up by gift vouchers. When I first got my Kindle in Nov 2010 I let it be known that Kindle(Amazon) gift vocuher would be very acceptable presents and so have managed to keep a balance via Christmas, Birthday and Mother's Day. I only let myself buy Kindle books using this account so I'm not spending my money :D

So you could decide that when you have saved a suitable amount you allow yourself a small allowance of say £10 in an Amazon account which has to last until the end of the year?

I look at the Daily Deal every day and then immediately check the 100 top free books - these change all the time. It seems to me that lots of authors and publishers have realised that making a book free for a short period is an ideal way to introduce new readers. So now most of my Kindle books are free :money: And it isn't just the classics that are out of copyright that are free - there are thrillers, chick lit, self help, reference, biography and even some cookery books. Ok you won't find the latest volume by a best selling author but there is plenty there that is very readable and if you start a free book and it isn't to your liking it's very easy to delete it and it's cost you nothing.

So good luck with the challenge Flat Eric
  • sweetcarersweetcarer Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Good luck in your challenge FlatEric.

I don't have a kindle so I am already saving lol

I don't buy tree books ever at full price - wait till I see them in charity shoes and then um and ah and usually walk home without buying them and regret it later.

I guess it all stems from the fire. I had a huge collection of books - the Mary Jane Staples, Adams family series in particular. Lost all in the fire. I love reading but losing them lost something in me. I guess my cross stitch is the same. Really should go to mum and dads and get out what ones were saved and make a list of the missing. But then I think - I dont really have the money to replace them.

Take this month. Got my wages - had to take a mortgage holiday so I could pay at least half the gas/electric bill. Pay off all other debits and debts (3 credit cards and loan). So for the last 7 days of the month I have had £8.23. I can't get this weekends shopping until Monday when my wages go it and then the cycle starts all over again on Tuesday when the new month starts. The £8.23 is all I have left on my overdraft limit - so we are always in the red. I hate calling my bank as they ask can you not stay in black. I can't its not easy only me working on minimum wage plus as hubby calls it as its just over it and he is not working still and cant't get benefit as they say we are too rich to. He is trying bless him but I wish something would happen - I know he sends for them but don't think he sends for enough.

Ach I am sorry for moan - I only came on to wish FlatEric and everyone else in the challenge luck.

Off to the cafe now and put up my update and no more moans.

Kind wishes

sweetcarer ;)
    :j cross stitch forever, housework whenever :j
  • AesopAesop Forumite
    23.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sweetcarer, have you tried old style forums for ways to reduce food and electric and gas bills? Might help to clear overdraft.
    4.1K Posts
    I am also a Kindle addict which developed from a tree book addiction. At least my Kindle books don't threaten to take over the house.

I love the Daily Deal but control my spending by having an Amazon account which is topped up by gift vouchers. When I first got my Kindle in Nov 2010 I let it be known that Kindle(Amazon) gift vocuher would be very acceptable presents and so have managed to keep a balance via Christmas, Birthday and Mother's Day. I only let myself buy Kindle books using this account so I'm not spending my money :D

So you could decide that when you have saved a suitable amount you allow yourself a small allowance of say £10 in an Amazon account which has to last until the end of the year?

I look at the Daily Deal every day and then immediately check the 100 top free books - these change all the time. It seems to me that lots of authors and publishers have realised that making a book free for a short period is an ideal way to introduce new readers. So now most of my Kindle books are free :money: And it isn't just the classics that are out of copyright that are free - there are thrillers, chick lit, self help, reference, biography and even some cookery books. Ok you won't find the latest volume by a best selling author but there is plenty there that is very readable and if you start a free book and it isn't to your liking it's very easy to delete it and it's cost you nothing.

So good luck with the challenge Flat Eric

I do have lots of free books on my kindle and after reading your post, have lots more! I really like the gift voucher idea. That's not something I had thought of before. With the start of my challenge imminent, I have bought myself a gift voucher and hopefully that will last me. My intention is just to buy the deal of the day books or books that retail for less than a pound. A book I bought recently for over £5.00 has now come down in price to just 99p! :mad:
  • AilsbAilsb Forumite
    967 Posts
    Good luck with the no spend Flateric. I don't think I could do it but I will try to cut back with you.
    Cross Stitch Cafe Member #59 :j
    Finished 2013 - Bug, Alessandra Adelaides "eye", Sandy Hook Square, Coffee & Cake, Turtle, Gecko, Cross for pouch, candle, stocking, snowman
    WIP 2014: A-Z Nativity, Rock, Scissor etc Mable Figworthy SAL
    Member of 13 projects in 13 Completed 9/13
    Member of 14 projects in 14 Completed 3/14
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals