Aerials springing up

edited 11 December 2013 at 10:24PM in N. Ireland
17 replies 1.8K views
BelfastbelleBelfastbelle Forumite
365 Posts
edited 11 December 2013 at 10:24PM in N. Ireland
There are aerials springing up in pockets of high ground round the Saintfield Road/ Carryduff-

is it something to do with digital changeover?
Does anyone know who is doing the work?

:p

Replies

• yorkie98yorkie98 Forumite
    306 Posts
    Any chance of a picture or two?
  • I'll take some when I'm out tomorrow- :j

How do you add photos onto posts though?
    306 Posts
    Upload to somewhere like photobucket or flickr then post the links here.
    I don't think this is against site rules.
  • edited 11 December 2013 at 10:26PM
    BelfastbelleBelfastbelle Forumite
    365 Posts
    edited 11 December 2013 at 10:26PM
    Photographs
    Photographs
    Photographs
    Photographs
    Photographs
    Photographs
    306 Posts
    Thanks for those. It is what I suspected, It looks like an installer has been canvassing streets and scaremongering people into "preparing for digital switchover". I would imagine the onscreen messages on analogue TV have made this an easy sell.
    Maybe I will do an advice post about DSO and request for it to be a sticky as for 99% of people, their existing aerial will work fine after DSO, even if they currently don't get digital.

This has happened in many other areas as it's almost the last hurrah for many aerial installers as there has been steady growth in work for the last 12 years because of digital and this is going to come to a very abrupt end after DSO as everyone will be sorted out within a very short timeframe after switchover.
  • One of those pics is my house.....

THATS why I'm asking

I didn't give permission to any aerial installation- neither have I had any conversation with any installers....
    neither has an neighbour (another of the pics)
    :eek:
    306 Posts
    OK.... Now that is strange..
    So let's get this straight.. cos it almost sounds unbelieveable..
    You came home one day and a new aerial had been installed on your roof, without your request or consent, for free??

If that's right then I guess it leads to questions regarding ownership of the homes in question, namely, are these Private owner/occupier, Housing Executive, Housing Association, Private rented, other, or a random mixture of various..

If there is for example, a common landlord, maybe this was done as part of a contract, even so, I would have expected that consent would have to have been sought and notice given. I would also find it highly unlikely for any landlord to be paying for this to be done, its usually a tenant's responsability and even if it wasn't, you'd expect this work to be reactive, not proactive.

Strange indeed..

Have you noticed any improvement OR worsening of your TV signals as a result?
  • Owner occupied.
    I came home from work and an aerial had been erected.

(I don't use an aerial - have sky)

It is mad.
    306 Posts
    This has got me very intrigued..
    Was this a complete new aerial where there was previously nothing? Brackets, mast, aerial, the works? Your neighbor the same?

If it were me, I think I'd be knocking a few doors and seeing if anyone else knows who it was.

In your estimation, how many of these have you seen and over what kind of timeframe have they appeared?
  • yorkie98 wrote: »
    This has got me very intrigued..
    I've sent you a pm - thanks Y98

Anyone else notice these???
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals