Help Please - Buyer has paid wrong postage

Hi,

I have an auction just ended, the buyer someone from the US has already paid via Paypal but they have only paid the postage costs for UK.

How do I invoice them for the rest of the money? I don't want to contact them yet to tell them they have paid the wrong amount because I want to know how to do this first.

Plus they have a feedback score of -1 !!! I'd really prefer not to deal with them and take a lower offer am I entitled to pull out of the deal? I knew I should have blocked this type of bidder. Why don't Ebay cancel these peoples accounts.

Thanks in advance.
Oodle

Comments

• ella2ethan1
    ella2ethan1 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hiya, did your auction state wordwide? If so you may be stuck but if you email them and tell them about the postage they may back out (I had one who did that once was their first bid)

You can request money from paypal on the site and state its for FULL postage payment.

hth Sarah x
  • Thanks
    I did state worldwide but specified that buyers contact me to ask postage prior to bidding.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,195 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    firstly refund the payment already made. Then just send them a new paypal invoice showing the correct post and packing and also send them an email explaining what you have done.

The reason I suggest doing it this way is that you don't want two paypal transactions for the same item as you will pay too much by way of fees. You will also have problems if the item doesn't arrive and the buyer does a chargeback.

remember that you need to send it by a trackable method to cover yourself against chargebacks.

In future make sure you stop people with less than 0 feedback bidding, it is easy to set your preferences to do that.

Finally, whatever happens remember that the buyer can leave you feedback. Just be polite but stick to your guns and you should be OK.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have an auction just ended, the buyer someone from the US has already paid via Paypal but they have only paid the postage costs for UK......Plus they have a feedback score of -1

Advertising goods for sale to anybody anywhere in the world, allowing negative bidders and taking Paypal on the transaction. You do like living dangerously.
  • stavros_2
    stavros_2 Posts: 772 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Altarf wrote:
    Advertising goods for sale to anybody anywhere in the world, allowing negative bidders and taking Paypal on the transaction. You do like living dangerously.

what's alternative would you suggest to paypal?
  • Altarf wrote:

The item in question has only gone for £6, hardly living dangerously am I. I posted on here for advice.

Thanks to the others.
  • soolin
    Altarf wrote:

Paypal is not a problem as long as you use it sensibly, a lot of the scaremongering stories are because people haven't read the paypal terms and conditions.

Selling abroad isn't a problem as well, as long as you avoid a couple of notoriously dodgy countries, again it is common sense.

The only thing I would agree on is that it would be sensible to set preferences to disallow bidders with less than 0 feedback.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    soolin wrote:
    Paypal is not a problem as long as you use it sensibly, a lot of the scaremongering stories are because people haven't read the paypal terms and conditions.

If you want to defend a chargeback their T&Cs require you to send stuff by a trackable delivery method. Tricky when the buyer is not in the UK.
  • soolin
    It is possible to send a trackable parcel overseas, just check out the Royal Mail website.

However people tend to start chargebacks when they don;t get satisfaction from the seller so if the seller is happy to send something just insured then they can refund the buyer without recourse to a paypal chargeback. All the seller needs to do then is reclaim the amount back from the post office.

I rarely send my lower priced foreign items trackable, I do however send them with some form of proof of postage and should an item not be received in a sensible time frame then would refund and claim myself against the post office. So far all my lost parcel claims have been honoured, even the one last year that disappeared en route to Las Vegas (I sell a lot to Las Vegas, which is very odd!)

Any seller that routinely expects their buyers to go through a chargeback to get a refund on a non delivered item isn't going to last long.

Soo
  • katiepops_2
    katiepops_2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    If you send it via Royal Mail's international signed for service (it costs airmail plus £3.30), you can track it on the RM website until it gets passed to USPS, and then you can track it on USPS using the RM tracking number.

Kate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport