PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making Jams

Options
13»

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jen

If you look at the instructions for your breadmaker you may be able to cook the jam for an extra 20 minutes - I did this and my last pot of jam set really well - even my daughters noticed!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jen, I did this one year and got delicious runny jam as well. Great as an icecream topping tho and much better for the kidz than that bright red syrup rubbish you buy at tesco. Thanks for the tip elona my breadmaker book doesn't say anything about extra cooking time. Will give it a go
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, sorry to resurrect this old thread but I didn't want to start a new one when an old one would do!

I know there are loads of jam-related threads but before I get stuck in to making my first ever jam I have two questions that I can't find the answer to in any of the old threads.

1. How essential is it to have a maslin pan? The biggest pan I have is a 5.5 litre aluminium pressure cooker.

2. I have lots of jam jars with metal lids that I can sterilise. Do I still need to use the little waxed paper circles?

Thanks for any help :)
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use a 10 litre stockpot to make my jams in. I would think your pan should be ok if you're only making small batches. The thing is, when jam is at a rolling boil, it rises up the sides of the pan, which is why a large pan is needed.

I don't use the cellophane discs as I use the screw on lids. The waxed paper and cellophane is for when you're not using lids.
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks a lot :) I was planning on making quite a big batch actually and I want to start making it on a regular basis so I'm thinking a proper jam pan might be a good investment. I have some birthday money to burn! And if there's one thing I don't want it's a sugar burn from it boiling over - I've seen them when people have been making caramel etc and they are extremely nasty.

Will give the waxed paper a miss then, thanks :D
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    Options
    I use the base of my pressure cooker all the time for jam making but its only really good for 4-6 jar recipes as more than that does boil up too fiercely
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure