Forum Home» Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News

'Is it worth using a PPI claims company? –10 things you need to know' blog discussion

New Post Advanced Search

'Is it worth using a PPI claims company? –10 things you need to know' blog discussion

13 replies 21.7K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Replies

• Not so much a comment as a plea for help! I've never had PPI, never asked for it or needed it. Can't get rid of cold callers though. I'm ex directory and registed with TPS. What else can I do???:mad:
  • Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elainemary wrote: »
    Not so much a comment as a plea for help! I've never had PPI, never asked for it or needed it. Can't get rid of cold callers though. I'm ex directory and registed with TPS. What else can I do???:mad:

I suggested in the other thread you posted this request in to contact your service provider and as them for advice regarding how best to handle nuisance calls.

Alternatively get one of these:

http://www.truecall.co.uk/

Shop around, as you may find the same product cheaper (new of course) on sites such as Amazon :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • I_luv_catsI_luv_cats Forumite
    14.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could stop up to 20 marketing emails a day!!

Under the electronic rules they are not suppose to spam and also under the MOJ rules too.

Pointing your mouse over the email title gives some weird email addresses, perhaps some of these are chancers that get paid for aggressive marketing leads!
  • I was one of the silly ones who used a Claims Company (The Claims Guys) before i found this website... What they do in my view is borderline criminal. The harrassing phone calls even before i'd been paid out, implying how complicated and time consuming claiming by myself would be, charging 30% plus VAT fee (£3.5k in my case).

I've been paid out now but i'm refusing to answer the Claims Guys calls, think i'm going to complain about many issues i have with them before i hand over any cash.

DONT USE THEM PEOPLE!!!!!!
  • savemoneysavemoney Forumite
    18.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have made several complaints about this company there are a bunch of parasites who obtained my number illegal and then tried to contact me loads of times. I never give my number willy nilly and when I have too I always check for any boxes for 3rd party

They have stop pestering me now either than knew they would never get hold of my thanks to Truecall or they were told to remove me from there list by information commissioner or TPS

I was one of the silly ones who used a Claims Company (The Claims Guys) before i found this website... What they do in my view is borderline criminal. The harrassing phone calls even before i'd been paid out, implying how complicated and time consuming claiming by myself would be, charging 30% plus VAT fee (£3.5k in my case).

I've been paid out now but i'm refusing to answer the Claims Guys calls, think i'm going to complain about many issues i have with them before i hand over any cash.

DONT USE THEM PEOPLE!!!!!!
  • sugarsiansugarsian Forumite
    5 posts
    I've had success with most companies on reclaiming PPI myself. I have 3 outstanding:

Freedom Finance (IGroup/GE Money) initially with Freedom Finance - they all say responsibility of Bespoke Finance which is a Gibraltar company! - Yeah right. I think Freedom are still operating like this aren't they?

Creation (a JJB store card) which is old and non- FOS so not getting anywhere

Firstplus which was an Anglian windows finance loan - this is being handled by FOS who are talking Lloyds of London the underwriters to court on a test case I believe. Come on Lloyds of London just pay up - the buck stops with you surely. If you can't trust the sales people - don't take the business. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had any luck with these companies.
  • I'm having a degree of success with some previous lenders.....But Egg are proving to be a nightmare!
    I had an Egg loan that was sold to a third party....Egg are saying that they have net their legal requirements and will not support any PPI claim...Is this true?
  • Hi Martin please help me I haven't got a clue what to do next!! 2 years ago I paid redress claims £395 to start a claim against my current lender Northern Rock and the advisor at the time for misselling of my mortgage, due to the fact my loan to value was 130% and other factors. However it was rejected by FSCS over 6 months ago and the company said they were going to appeal it, however I now can't speak to the company as they have turned into a outbound call centre and everytime I request a call they send me an email with no relevant information. The only way I could get information was to pay for a SARS request, however now they are telling me I would have to pay again to see any recent information. I just don't know what to do or where my claim is going? I simply want them to tell me or refund the money i paid as that was a condition, if no compensation was won then the initial payment would be recieved and that would come in handy for christmas. Please have you got any advice for me? Thanks Cat
  • I wanted to add a comment after the blog post on here but was dismayed to find that I'd have to enter my facebook details - sorry, far too public there with possible inference of people finding out you're suddenly in the money - perhaps MSE can look into changing the Facebook login demand!

Having just read the main blog post regarding PPI companies, a couple of weeks ago I had the phone call from one of those companies. I finally relented. I knew I had a loan from one bank about 14 years ago and instead of writing to ombudsman and writing to whoeever, I immediately phoned my bank company - to those with TSB, the TSB PPI telephone number is 0845 601 2683 option 4 I think.

What transpired is that the bank HAVE missold PPi on that loan. The lady on the end of the phone did confirm that the bank had done that. So, now I'm awaiting a letter of process through the post - it costs NOTHING.

I am about to phone the PPi company to tell them the bad news - they wanted to charge me 25% on whatever.

If I Hadn't had read Martin's blog about PPI, I would never have known to contact the bank directly.
  • supersavergsupersaverg Forumite
    124 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Dont waste your time using an agency.

I did this all myself with a couple of letters direct to the bank (used the templates on here). If you like, send multip[le copies a week apart for fun.

Simple as that. 5k back into my bank for the cost of a stamp. ALL of it, not less the 30% comm these agencies normally charge.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support