2 prices for an extension that are so far apart!

Hi all, we're getting quotes in for an extension to the back of our house, single storey, 2.75 meters wide x 4.3 meters long, mono pitch roof, 2 windows, make a very wide door a little narrower and supply and fit new door, knock a window through to make a doorway between existing building and the extension (dining room and kitchen as it will be).

had 2 builders over last night who have taken copies of the plans to give us proper quotes but both gave a rough "guesstimate" of the cost while they were with us

Builder number 1, said he'd just finished a extension 5m x 3m which he charged £9000 for so ours would be less than that and the work would be done within 4-5 weeks.

Builder number 2, said we would be looking between £15000 and £18000 with a completion time of 8-12 weeks.

now i'm a mechanic and know next to nothing about building but surely 2 builders looking at the same set of plans should be looking at least in the same ballpark?! builder number 2 is quoting potentially double the money and triple the time to complete!

we will of course be getting further quotes to compare but i ended last night feeling a little dazed and confused as i was hoping we would at least have an idea what we should be spending but they were so far apart i'm not even sure i should draw a mid point from it!

any tips on what sort of quotes we should be getting for the work to be done?

many thanks

John

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Firstly its Metres, not meters.

Secondly, its not idal to give 'guesstimates' based on site. Both need to undertake full pricing. Just on gut feelijng £9k seems way too low for that kind of area.

You also need to make sure that you are comparng eggs with eggs: i.e. that both (or all builders) are offering the same specification, the same final finish level, the same number of electrical sockets etc. The first may be offfering a very basic finish, whereas the latter may be offering full tiling, etc.

Also remember to get references for them and ask to speak to previous customers and seee samples of their work. If they are decent they will be happy to do /arrange this.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Yes, must be comparing like for like. So hopefully you have a set of detailed plans. If so, the question is how much to supply all materials, build exactly as per plans, liase with building control, clear away all rubbish, leave site clean and then supply and fit X, Y and Z.

The next reason prices can differ a lot is workload. If builder A has has only a few weeks free in the next 3-4 months, he really ain't bothered about the work. Might as well chuck in a very high price and see if he gets lucky. Builder B might be the opposite and in danger of sitting on his hands. He might offer a very competitive price as he is very keen on the job.

Get more quotes, but be sure to get references, and visit those references and ask lots of questions.

Also, ask about payment terms. If there is anything other than a small deposit up front, I say run a mile. Any quality builder who is confident of their work will not mind working in arrears.

Good luck.
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    i think a rough ballpark is around £1000 per msq

info here http://www.whatprice.co.uk/building/home-extension.html
  • jkpd
    jkpd Posts: 97 Forumite
    9k is way to low, materials would be 6-7k +vat. 13-15k +vat if it is a straight forward extension. This 1k per square metre is complete rubbish which people keep posting.
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    jkpd wrote: »
    9k is way to low, materials would be 6-7k +vat. 13-15k +vat if it is a straight forward extension. This 1k per square metre is complete rubbish which people keep posting.

really ? this would suggest not http://www.whatprice.co.uk/prices/building/extension-single-storey.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure