Royal Mail: When does a letter become a small packet when posting outside uk?

Options
12346»

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 July 2014 at 11:50AM
    Options
    If it goes in an envelope and through the 5mm "slot", I wouldn't confuse the PO staff by telling them it's goods. That's not a comprehensive answer but one that works.
    They will need a customs form so the PO would know it contains something if they chose to look.

BaileyB if these are so light are they really so valuable that you need to use a tracked service? Small packet airmail up to 100g is £3.80. Even if they are worth more than £20 I would consider self insuring. You would need a large proportion of losses to make sense of paying out an extra fiver on each one.
  • BaileyB
    BaileyB Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    Not that expensive under £15

Is it only the EU that class it as goods? So as long as it fits in 5mm slot is classed as a letter in the UK?

Did not think it needed a customs label as was sending in the EU.

Went to a different post office and paid the letter price.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Bonez14
    Bonez14 Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It has been over a year can some one please clarify. Can I send a small packet which fits the dimension of large letter internationally? Harrow post office allows me to send it but Woking post office are stuck up.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it is going standard Air mail, does not need tracking and will fit in the letterbox then there is a simple solution. Get a cheap plastic large letter guide template from Ebay, some scales and then buy your postage online. We have started doing this for airmail that we can post and its far less of a headache than using PO
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    When this thread was started, there was some confusion. The rules have changed and now there is no confusion. Either it goes through the slots or does not. If Woking Post Office are having trouble with this, they are in the wrong business.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure