New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Road to Recovery - My Diary

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
175 replies 9K views
Hope78Hope78 Forumite
755 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
Day 1 - 4th March 2007

Feeling positively raring to go after signing up and spilling my innermost money worries to the lovely folk on this forum. Thanks to those who have read my SoA and helped me gain prespective I'd no idea how much I spent . Once I learn how to link to it from here I will and then anyone else who has a few spare minutes can cast their eye over it - all help greatly appreciated.

It's amazing how much weight has been lifted off my shoulders just by 'talking' about it, wish I'd found you all years ago but hindsight's a wonderful thing. Actually slept all night last night for the first time in 2 years becuase all of your hard work, inspiration and non-judgemental posts have shown me that there's things I can do.

I've decided to put a few steps into action at a time and I've been a success already!
1) I washed just my own car saving £6.99 (will hoover when rain goes off)
The fresh air has cleared my mind and I feel liberated.
2) Typed letter about bank charges - but feeling nervous about nationwide
closing my account and impact this might have on my loan and credit
card but will look at the other forum for advice.
3) Make a little spending diary from blank school jotter rather than buying
note book.
4) Found 2 can banks for £1 coins and 'smash' already got £12 in £1s from
handbags and purse - well done me!!! So many bag I don'tuse think I'll
look out ones to sell (ebay or car boot at work next month any
suggestions where I'll make most cash?)

I've not managed to put £10 under car mat yet but mum owes me £20 so will use £10 for that and wthe rest will buy new wiper blade for car it's MOT this week. I have given dad all my cards though and if I'm brave will chop one up tonight!

Sorry this is so long but getting it all out in the open is doing wonders for my mental state.
LBM 03/07 £44k:eek: DFD 31/12/17 :A 12/17 £2545.50
Credit Card £2500.00 & Next £45.00
Savings = £81.21 & Help To Buy ISA = £4700.00

Replies

• Hi there hope78

Welcome to this board, it's great to know that there are people out there who share the same problems, a problem shared and all that, and well done on the changes you've already made.

I'm not really good with suggestions about saving money per se, but look on the old style board and you'll find loads more helpful suggestions about saving money on groceries, menu planning and loads more.

Welcome
    CTFG
    x x x x
    LBM Feb 09[STRIKE] £64 427.32[/STRIKE] £13 700.59! Sub £15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec £40.00 SSF £00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) £13.59 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
  • juliejimjuliejim Forumite
    7.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    A good start - well done!
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
  • irnbru_2irnbru_2 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Hope78 wrote:
    Once I learn how to link to it from here I will

HowTo link
  • Hope78Hope78 Forumite
    755 posts
    Thanks for that link info irnbru. Here's the link to my SoA
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=391808

I hope it works and I've not done something wrong - all help gratefully recieved.
  • Hope78Hope78 Forumite
    755 posts
    Day 1 4th march continued

Today has gone superbly well still on a high for grabbing control back from myself! I'm not very good at figures and wondered if my looking at my sig if anyone could shed any light on a rough debt free date?

My journey is just beginning but would like to have even a little inkling! I've heard it's best to clear highest rate first but there's a chance I can pay an extra £100 to my Nationwide loan and pay it off by Xmas 2007 and knowing myself I think this would give me a boost in my mental atttitude. Can anyone offer any advise?

Hope you're SUnday's been a s good as mine!

I've got myself three little diaries now one for spending, one for recording debt reduction and another for budgeting e.g. birthdays, Xmas etc etc.

Do have one little cloud over my head though as I'm about to start claiming for bank charges from Nationwide I'm petrified noone else will give me a current account. No point stressing until I've applied I guess.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • GirlRacer_2GirlRacer_2 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    3K posts
    Why not apply for another account first. Just to be on the safe side. You can always close it again if Nationwide don't close your account. I'm reclaiming off Halifax at mo and I've opened an accout with Abbey in case. Was dissatisfied with Halifax anyway.
  • tigzemtigzem Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Well done, sounds a very positive start, sure you'll be paying off debts before you know it.

Have you tried the snowball calculator for working out debt free dates?

It's at https://www.whatsthecost.co.uk

I found it very helpful - good luck Hope, and keep smiling x
    "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little." Edmund Burke
  • medmanmedman Forumite
    325 posts
    Hi Hope...sounds like a good day and a great start.

There was an article in the Telegraph money section Yesterday titled "Don't be afraid to claim back excessive bank charges"

"Banks who take revenge on customers complaining about bank charges could be forced to pay compensation up to £200".

This week, the financial watchdog published two landmark rulings, ordering banks who closed accounts as a "retaliatory or punitive measure" to pay out for the inconvenience when customers were forced to open accounts elsewhere.

more details on the article at
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/03/03/cmbank03.xml

Better to open a new account first, just in case.

Good luck and stay focused, watch out for the bad days and remember today.

Best Wishes

MM
  • Hope78Hope78 Forumite
    755 posts
    Cheers for that my big fear is that with the debt I've got I might not get another current account! In which case I'll need to check charges when they come in ands ee if it's really worth it - it'd be typical for me not to get another bank account and be the on person not to be able to claim. Oh dear think tiredness is overshadowing my positive start. I resoolve to add searching for another account to my list of things to do this week.

Tomorrow I aim to;
    1) Cancel online subscription saving £5.99 per month wich is actaullly on my credit card! Paid March-April already but still cancel it tomorrow so I don't forget.

2) Get a new bank mandate form from personnel just incase the whole bank cahrges things goes through mean I'll have it at the ready. We all know how messed up these things can get.

3) Discuss cancelling £25 per month life insurance and type letter if necessary.

4) Actually put that emergency £10 under car mat.

I did get mum to buy ythat wiper blad for car and uncle fitting it tomorrow yet more money saved as getting garage to replace it quote was £15 buying it myself £7.59 uncle fitting it free - I'm his favourite!

Good night I'm off to get ready for work now! Thanks again everyone I'm feel just great about the support and positive about my prospects.

Hope xx
  • Hope78Hope78 Forumite
    755 posts
    Thanks I did that as best I could with APR etc and got a date about 2012 whihc I'm happy with.