🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Is my equity safe?

Options
I have just this week requested that my iva be settled early. My dad is going to put up the money & I have offered £3000. I have 12/13 months left @ £306 so by the time it's processed that should be more or less what I owe. I have done this because I have had a builder offer to buy my house. April 2011 was end of year 4for me & I "fought" the re-mortgage modification & "won" which allowed me to keep my equity. Is my equity safe? I am hping the early settlement will make it safe but what if the builder wants it before then? My house is in a poor state of repair & I can't wait to move but there are so many "if's & but's" Can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• DebtCompanyInsider
    Options
    I think you need to speak to your IVA firm to get clarification in writing before doing anything.

If you release the equity in your home prior to the formal completion of your IVA and a surplus is generated this would normally have to be paid over to help repay your debts.
  • Gimpsdad
    Gimpsdad Posts: 315 Forumite
    Options
    If you present a case that your IP feels has a good chance then why not? Common sense dictates that if it is a fair offer then there is no reason why you should not be allowed to keep some of the money to move, pay a deposit elsewhere etc, so it doesn't necessarily follow that you would lose all of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport