Forum Home» Freebies (no spend required)

Please feed back on the Freecycle and Freegle guide - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Please feed back on the Freecycle and Freegle guide

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Freebies (no spend required)
42 replies 24.3K views

Replies

• kevanf1kevanf1 Forumite
    299 posts
    Please be aware that not all groups that are part of Freegle are actually called such. So there might be a group based in 'Anytown' that is part of Freegle but is called 'Anytown recycling' rather than 'Anytown Freegle'. Each group is free to call themselves what they wish but they are all listed on the main Freegle website. As an example, in South Staffordshire and parts of the West Midlands there is a mini network of Freeworld-Recycling groups who are all part of Freegle.

Some tips for good use.

Be polite.
    Don't be greedy - other members will find out and you'll be shunned by them.
    Offer to help if you have spare time. We are all voluntary and it's our free time that we give to the community.
    Please be honest if the group asks where you live. Don't try to join multiple groups as you might be refused joining all of them and end up being branded a 'grabber'.

As you may guess I run a number of recycling groups all of which are listed on the Freegle website. It's a great way of being part of a community and being able to give something back.
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • lizzywaylizzyway Forumite
    1 posts
    Not too sure if i'm allowed to post this - have checked rules so please bear with me as i am new! I love CROFTING! i.e a bag of dried dog food is swapped for fresh veg from a person who loves gardening !! I saw it first on a BBC television programme and gave it a barter/go. It worked :)

PLEASE ADVISE ME ON THIS: I also know of a business set up by 2 mum's after they were ripped off for Prom Dresses. They have set up a site, (they had to learn their computer skills from their children), who 'manage' I think would be the right word, Proms, Weddings, Parties etc. They pulled one in for £2200 including church, flowers, meal, disco, dress, bridesmaid dresses (nigh on all actually) for 120 attending !!! None were second hand, food was excellent, even a live band in the church - I think the minister almost started dancing. Am I allowed to put their name on here?
  • tascotasco Forumite
    1 posts
    There is a new site called Flooting.com that looks interesting, however it's only available in London just now.

People list stuff for free and others who are interested in something listed play a simple game to get it.

People who list more popular stuff earn points, the more popular an item is, the more points they earn.

People can use the points to help them get the stuff they want. I got an iPod and girls coat.
  • Hello,

I have been moderating my local Freecycle site for four years now, so I thought I could share some of my experiences.

When responding to a post, the absolute best thing you can do is be nice!! Remember the poster does not *owe* you the item, and you do not have automatic rights to it. Also, don't beg, nor give your sob story in your email. Posters dislike it. I have found, from personal experience (having been fortunate enough to receive a washing machine, two sofas, rugs, pots and pans, food processor etc from the site) that the following response is ideal:

"Hi, I spotted your ad for ______ on Freecycle, and was wondering if you still have it available? I have been on the look out for one of these for some time, and could offer it a good home. I am able to pick up whenever is most convenient for you. I look forward to your response."

Good spelling, grammar, and etiquette will get you further.

Also, remember that posters can be inundated with emails, so you will not always get and item, and you will not always get a response. You just have to keep trying. Posters also often want an item gone quickly, so let them know you can pick up that day if you are able.

I have been subjected to some pretty vile emails from members of my group over the years. Some posters and posts are moderated, meaning I have to individually approve each of them. From time to time, different circumstances mean you may have to wait a while for your post to be approved. I have over 9,000 members on my site, and it is a lot of work. There have been a couple of times when I have been taken ill in hospital, and am unable to approve posts, sending rude emails will not change anything. (Of course, if you *really* wind me up, I may accidentally change your settings to 'All Emails'.)

And of course, posts slip through the cracks sometimes, so if you notice a post that shouldn't be there, report it.

As mentioned in the article here, don't just take take take all the time. If everyone did that, there would be no site. Be sure to offer things occasionally, it doesn't matter what. I offered a small waste basket once, only cost about £3 new, and the lady that came to pick it up was so grateful it was astounding.
  • mike_patersonmike_paterson Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    kevanf1 wrote: »
    Please be aware that not all groups that are part of Freegle are actually called such. So there might be a group based in 'Anytown' that is part of Freegle but is called 'Anytown recycling' rather than 'Anytown Freegle'. Each group is free to call themselves what they wish but they are all listed on the main Freegle website. As an example, in South Staffordshire and parts of the West Midlands there is a mini network of Freeworld-Recycling groups who are all part of Freegle.

Interesting! So can I move my independent Freecycle groups under the Freegle Umbrella and keep the names the same?
    To infinity and beyond!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • New giveaway app is on the scene - Snaply - just a free iPhone app at the moment with Android coming soon. Has a tie-in with Freegle so allows you to view everything that's on your Freegle group, and also to post items to it.

Now the disclaimer: I wrote the app! Hope it's useful :)
  • Thank you for a very detailed explanatory about using Giveaway websites. I may try one of the websites that is more relevant to my family needs.

Thank you and looking forward to more info.
    Joseph
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Jenny for the update. Used Freecycle for years when driving, still have some of the furniture. Not sure of the environmental impact of cars charging all over the place.
    I noticed a big change when smartphones came out, users would accept my offers because they could do so quickly, and hardly ever let me know if they changed their mind.
  • MihaMiha Forumite
    1 posts
    Hello,

There is one more search engine to add to the free sites. As I can't post links, you'll find it as: yourstuff.store/free. It's a very smart search engine that lists on a map all free items offered on freecycle and gumtree. This way you don't have to subscribe to various groups beforehand and go through each listing. Instead, you can look on the map in your area and find all items offered for free in that area or you can do a word search and find all washing machines offered for free, for example.

My boyfriend developed this website as he was searching for a free printer and it took him too much time to search through all available threads and posts. So he spent some time developing this website and hopefully more people can use it. It is in the spirit of people sharing things and recycling them rather than throwing in the skip. He took from someone a printer that wasn't working, fixed it and now we have a very good laser colour printer. That's a bargain! I'm very proud of him and I hope this website will help many people. It also offers the possibility to post free items, take a photo from a phone and post it. This is a long overdue development as most free websites don't have the resources to develop the technology.

We use it every time we need something, so far got desk and chairs to use when we work from home. I love it and I wish more people knew about it as it's a very good search tool for free things.

Miha
  • suejb2suejb2 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Miha wrote: »
    Hello,

There is one more search engine to add to the free sites. As I can't post links, you'll find it as: yourstuff.store/free. It's a very smart search engine that lists on a map all free items offered on freecycle and gumtree. This way you don't have to subscribe to various groups beforehand and go through each listing. Instead, you can look on the map in your area and find all items offered for free in that area or you can do a word search and find all washing machines offered for free, for example.

My boyfriend developed this website as he was searching for a free printer and it took him too much time to search through all available threads and posts. So he spent some time developing this website and hopefully more people can use it. It is in the spirit of people sharing things and recycling them rather than throwing in the skip. He took from someone a printer that wasn't working, fixed it and now we have a very good laser colour printer. That's a bargain! I'm very proud of him and I hope this website will help many people. It also offers the possibility to post free items, take a photo from a phone and post it. This is a long overdue development as most free websites don't have the resources to develop the technology.

We use it every time we need something, so far got desk and chairs to use when we work from home. I love it and I wish more people knew about it as it's a very good search tool for free things.

Miha

Not ever thing is free, good enough site though.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.