Can anyone settle an argument please

My hubby and I were having a bit of an argument can any body settle it. :mad:
If I was left a property last year from my mother is he intitled to half share??
Cheers

Replies

• real1314real1314 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Yes, he is. :cool:
  • vax2002vax2002
    7.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the half that needs fixing up, tell him to get on with it....
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course he's not

If you were to split up, then the starting position is that he is entitled to half the assets - but it's only a starting position and is negotiable

Otherwise it's up to you whether you give him half or not
  • jollymejollyme Forumite
    343 Posts
    Was the house gifted to you outright? Assuming it was. Are you talking about his entitlement today? or on your death? Or as part of a divorce settlement? Today - it's upto you. On your death - depends upon the terms in your will. Divorce settlement - complicated - see a solicitor.
  • bluebirdbluebird Forumite
    378 Posts
    As far as i am aware anything gained during marriage is shared,anything you had before marriage is yours.But don't quote me:)
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    As far as i am aware anything gained during marriage is shared, anything you had before marriage is yours.
    You seem to think that, once you are married, you don't have personal property any more. Of course you do. If something is given to or inherited by one party, it's their property unless they choose to share it.
  • NARNAR Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Biggles wrote: »
    You seem to think that, once you are married, you don't have personal property any more. Of course you do. If something is given to or inherited by one party, it's their property unless they choose to share it.
    You are in for a big shock if you get divorced!
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggles wrote: »
    . Of course you do. If something is given to or inherited by one party, it's their property unless they choose to share it.
    Does the same apply to lotto winnings? Are they not considered to be marital assets?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • blossomhill_2blossomhill_2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    As of now it depends if his name is on the deeds - if only your name then no, it is not his

In the event of your death, it would depend on the terms of your will and only pass to him if you had willed it to him. If you were to die intestate then it could eventually pass to him
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • sleepless_saversleepless_saver Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think about it this way. If it was a debt in your name alone would your husband be responsible for half of it? No! Same applies to the inheritance. If your mother leaves the property to you, then it's yours to do as you want with. (This has been the case since the Married Women's Property Act of 1884 if I recall rightly.)

If your marriage broke up, that would be different as the whole of both your assets would be considered but even then he would not necessarily get half.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides