Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Restaurants

Options
Most of the restaurants around me seem to be chains, with the possible exception of Indian restaurants. I wonder why this is?

Likewise most takeaway food is now chain based, with good fish and chips shops almost gone, the only exception seems to be fried chicken and kebab places.

Comments

• nearlynew
    nearlynew Posts: 3,800 Forumite
    Options
    There may be many reasons, but the high cost of property is the main reason.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you never know whether they are genuine or not" -
    Albert Einstein
  • chewmylegoff
    chewmylegoff Posts: 11,466 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    probably got a lot to do with

(a) lower cost barrier to opening up as a franchisee rather than an independent operation

(b) the fact that anyone successful expands and becomes a chain.

there are still a lot of independent takeaways around me, but they're all cack.
  • Radiantsoul
    Radiantsoul Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting that there is not a McDonalds of indian food.
  • FTBFun
    FTBFun Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    Options
    Masala Zone?
  • Euphoria1z
    Euphoria1z Posts: 952 Forumite
    Options

Theres a Mcindians in leicester
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

McDonalds success was its fast food revolution - the fact you only waited 1 minute for your food. Now its expanded it has the economies of scale and buying power that mean smaller firms can't compete.

I think the appeal of chain stores is firstly the pricing, and secondly that people like familiarity and like to know what they're getting. Quite a lot of people are fussy eaters, especially kids, and you just go with what you know you like.

Curry always tastes the same, that's probably why there's no chains. A tikka masala from one restaurant tastes the same as a tikka masala from another to me.
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most of the restaurants around me seem to be chains, with the possible exception of Indian restaurants. I wonder why this is?

Purchasing power. Economy of scale with standard formats.

Like many retail operations. Centralised distribution has changed the market place.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A friend who's family runs a lot of chains says the British public are so 'brand' driven it's very hard to make much money from a 'non-branded' restaurant.
  • the_flying_pig
    the_flying_pig Posts: 2,349 Forumite
    Options
    A friend who's family runs a lot of chains says the British public are so 'brand' driven it's very hard to make much money from a 'non-branded' restaurant.

yeah, dunno.

this could be rubbish but it does seem to be my observation that UK high streets have fewer independent businesses than pretty much anywhere else I've been, including the US, Australia, rest of Europe, etc.

I think that some of the reasons could be about extreme risk aversity when buying from a new/untested place.

also as a country i'm not sure we have much of an entrepeneurial ethos anymore. maybe the noughties pwoperdee gold rush played a part in this? I'm sure that lots of younger [say in their thirties] landlords are people who'd have set up proper businesses [rather than just buying up secondhand assets] in days gone by?
    FACT.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    this could be rubbish but it does seem to be my observation that UK high streets have fewer independent businesses than pretty much anywhere else I've been, including the US,

The shopping malls in the US are primarily occupied by chains or franchises.

The independents are more often found in smaller towns where there isn't the footfall to warrant the investment by the big boys.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure