Feeding kittens

Options
2»

Comments

• penny_pincha
    Options
    I just dont know what is quality and what isnt obviously, time to research!

Cats and kittens need protein. They need protein for growth and for energy (not like humans in that respect). A good quality food is one with a higher percentage of protein. Processed foods eg tins and pouches,are convenient for us but like junk food for cats. However, it is difficult to have busy life and provided freshly prepared food for you animals, perhaps consider giving some freshly prepared food.:) My cats love steamed fish which I buy frozen from the basic range at a supermarket, then steam it in the microwave. Let it cool to just warm before serving though.

You might like to consider warming other wet food you serve in the microwave, but stir before you give it to them to avoid hot spots in the food. I do this when I have a poorly or reluctant eater. Don't feed too much fish though as it hasn't got iron in it.

they are starting to tell us when they are hungry by meowing by their bowls and following us round the house so thats good. They are definitely filling out, less bony on their spines.
    Great then you're doing the right thing for them then.:T

Otherwise they are happy, they love playing and fighting and stalking round like they own the place.
    Sounds like tou have turned the corner then and things are beginning to improve. That's good.:)
    So yes, Im a cat slave to them already!

No, you are looking after your new kittens properly with their welfare and best interests at heart. Well done :T
  • bluestarlight
    Options
    Thanks so much penny_pincha!

We have been giving them a few treats of steamed cooked chicken, we dont have a microwave so it would be harder to warm food. Will try them with some white fish though.

The whiskas is nearly finished, the vet had given us a small bag of Hills Science plan which is much more meaty. Trying to get them to at least try it! They usually just smell it, give me a look of disgust and stalk off.

They have really settled these last few days, they are so active all the time. Luckily we have a large flat as they never get bored of chasing each other and have now worked out how to climb the curtains! But then they love a curl up on their bed with a hot water bottle to get brushed. We love them to bits and they are definitely here to stay :j
  • Dizzyduck
    Dizzyduck Posts: 211 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2012 at 12:58PM
    Options
    Hi
    Sound like the kits have totally settled in, sorry may have missed this but what have you called them?
    Re dry food a company that gets a good name & is grain free is Bern Foods who make Orijen, Acana & Ziwipeaks. It can be fairly expensive but you can get trial size packs on the Bern Foods website.
    Vets Kitchen, available in Asda & Sainsbury is maize free but contains oats & rice (apparently easier to digest).
    Encore wet & dry can be found in Sainsburys, Applaws wet & dry Pets@Home.
    When buying wet food, please check if it a complete food or complementary if it is going to be the sole food source.
    When I got my cat I was told she didn't need cat milk as it was full of fat but might be useful for the wee boy who is underweight.
    All the best, they sound happy.
    HTH Dd
  • penny_pincha
    Options
    Dizzyduck wrote: »
    Hi

Re dry food a company that gets a good name & is grain free is Bern Foods who make Orijen, Acana & Ziwipeaks.
    HTH Dd

Yes I have fed Orijen & Ziwipeaks to my cats. Even my most fussy eater ate it (as long as I stayed with her, rolls eyes). It is very good quality food but expensive. Possible OK whilst they are recuperating, if you consider it too pricey. You can approach them for some samples to see if your kittens like it first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure