IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC/Debt Recovery Plus Ltd saga

Options

Comments

• Honestrade
    Options
    At the end of last night's watchdog, the preview for next week mentioned that they will be looking at a case of a private car parking co. that thinks it's above the ruling of a court judge.

Should be an interesting one to watch.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Honestrade wrote: »
    At the end of last night's watchdog, the preview for next week mentioned that they will be looking at a case of a private car parking co. that thinks it's above the ruling of a court judge.

Should be an interesting one to watch.

It's about Excel and the inadequate signage in the Peel Centre. They lost a court case over that, but have still not rectified the situation, mainly because their friends at the BPA say the signs are OK. Of course the boss of Excel is a board member of the BPA, so no conflict of interest there then!
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • give_them_FA
    give_them_FA Posts: 2,998 Forumite
    Options
    This situation is less a condemnation of Excel, more of the system generally.

So they lost a claim because the Judge decided their signage was inadequate. That hasn't broken any law, nor did the judge order that they improve it. All the judge said was "I am not awarding you anything as a result".

Unfortunately, and given that the ruling was not at a high enough level to make a precedent, (though it might be persuasive if Excel tried another claim from that car park) I don't see any reason in law that stops them from just carrying on regardless. After all, they are scammers; and scammers scam so long as they are allowed to get away with it.

Will look forward to the programme with interest, though!
  • Noop
    Noop Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Well I've got my second letter from debt recovery plus no with the notice of intended litigation
  • give_them_FA
    give_them_FA Posts: 2,998 Forumite
    Options
    Well, don't base any plans on the assumption that it will happen, because it won't. Never does.
  • interstellaflyer
    interstellaflyer Posts: 2,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 April 2012 at 9:58PM
    Options
    Noop wrote: »
    Well I've got my second letter from debt recovery plus no with the notice of intended litigation

Can I ask, was the company name, Debt recovery plus and NOTICE OF, visable through the window on the envelope? See link.

The reason I ask is because I am going to report them to OFT as Debt Collection letters should be private and confidetial.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj166/Agjar/001-1-39.jpg
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    Can I ask, was the company name, Debt recovery plus and NOTICE OF, visable through the window on the envelope? See link.

The reason I ask is because I am going to report them to OFT as Debt Collection letters should be private and confidetial.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj166/Agjar/001-1-39.jpg

That is completely shocking, designed to cause maximum embarrassment! Had something similar with IQOR when they were collecting for non existent VAT debt, they didn't put any person's name on the letter, it was opened by my wife, but that's not the point it could have been opened by anyone, shocking and reported!
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • flangyyy
    Options
    Hello

Just wondering, did they ever catch up with you? Like taken you to court? Whag was the outcome?
    Ive had letters from them, from smart parking then they passed it on to debt recovery plus.
    Thanks
    notts_phil wrote: »
    Drp letters say they have firm instructions to take you to court if you don't pay. Yet it never happens......

I am still waiting boo hoo.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    flangyyy wrote: »
    Hello

Just wondering, did they ever catch up with you? Like taken you to court? Whag was the outcome?
    Ive had letters from them, from smart parking then they passed it on to debt recovery plus.
    Thanks

start a new thread instead of resurrecting old ones

this thread dates from 2012 so is no longer valid for E+W since oct 2012 , meaning that what happened back then has no relevance now
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 28 December 2013 at 7:18PM
    Options
    flangyyy wrote: »
    Hello

Thanks

Are you joking? Catch up with you?! Court?! LOL!!

Why didn't you appeal and win like everyone does at POPLA this year? Maybe it's because you haven't actually read the current forum if you landed on this random thread from over a year ago and actually thought Smart Parking do Court?! How about just reading current threads on the same forum, one click away?

See my signature below, not the bit in red. Tells you where to click to read current threads. Also you will then see a 'search this forum' heading next to 'forum tools' above those threads on page one. Maybe put in 'Smart' or 'Recovery' as a search term, and read all the zillions of other threads about debt collector letters.

And do read 'Newbies read this first' at the top of page one...covers debt collector letters, appeals, all of it that you have missed so far. One click away all the time, much quicker to have read fifty current threads than to have registered and posted on this ancient old irrelevant thread.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure