Can I Claim To

Options
4-5 Years ago i sold a car on the internet, at the end of auction winning bidder sent a cheque for £5000 so i banked it straight away at lloyds bank and they told me it would take 7 days to clear,so i emailed winning bidder and told him 7 days before he could collect the car, on the 7th day i had email off winning bidder he said he could no longer have the car saying he just been banned from driving and could i send him money back, but keep £500 for messing me about,so i went online banking to see if cheque had cleared, it said funds where there, so off i went down to lloyds drew out £4500 over the counter (so funds were there ???) so off i went home to email the poor bloke who lost his licence to tell him i got his cash. he asked could i send it through western union so thats what i did (fool) by the time i got home which is a mile away checked my a/c online, guess what......
i was over drawn £4000, i phoned the bank and they told me that the cheque that i banked was a forged cheque so it was returned, and they wanted £4000 back straight away they spoke to me like a piece of sh*t (and that was the branch manager) so i rang the police when they came told them what happened and then they went to see my branch manager and they would get back to me. the following day they came back to me i would have to live with it i v been done and there was no way of tracing the guy, and its up to me to sort money with bank. as !!!!ed off as i was i told lloyds to shove it. any way 5 years on they now want £8000 off me. what do i do where do i stand
sorry to drag on about it but im just looking for some advise.
looking forward to reading replys
thanks steve

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well as you have probably realised you have fallen victim to one of the most prolific scams but of course 4 - 5 years ago they weren't as well publicised.

Unfortunately you are going to have to take the hit on the £4000 plus any interest accrued. However, presumably some of the additional money is bank charges and there is a section on the forum dedicated to reclaiming those.

It's a bit late to start complaining about how the bank staff treated you. You should have done that at the time really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure