alloy wheels on 106

hi all son brought 4 new alloy wheels and tyres out of a car parts shop last week for a peugeot 106,he told them what car it was for and they showed him there was only 2 sets to suit the 106 ,so they gave the price and son payed ,collected wheels 3 days later and they fitted them on to the car for him,all well ,not,he has had no one in the car for a week until last night,when he needed to take 3 passengers in the car and it was only then we found that the tyres are rubbing the side of the car when there is weight in it ,so were does he stand ,dont want to go into the shop shouting the place down and be in the wrong, are do they have to replace these as they are not suitable for this car and if the car went in for the mot it will fail because of these wheels

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    he may need some spacers like this

http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=1&P_ID=273&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=71

or this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/citreon-peugeot-wheel-spacer-kit-10mm-saxo-106-206-etc_W0QQitemZ300082985181QQihZ020QQcategoryZ122154QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    this kit will allow you to fit alloy wheels with wrong offset, this kit brings the wheel out away from the inner wheel arch and suspension components.
    Kit contents:
    4 of 10mm universal alloy wheel spacers
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • dan2002
    dan2002 Posts: 535 Forumite
    yea thought about spacers but when the weight is in the car the outside of the tyre is rubbing the inside of the wheel arch so dont think the spacers will do as I think the wheels will rub at the top of the wheel and stop the car moving altogether if you know what I mean
  • marty12
    marty12 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    get in touch with your local council trading standards dept and get your advice from them.but it seems to me you got sold the wrong wheels and tyres altogether, the shop may be liable under the sale of goods act as they were not fit for perpose
  • rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Make sure the rolling radius is the same on the new set as the old set. There's a superb calculator halfway down this page where you can put in your old and new tyre sizes to check the overall radius is the same. Lots of other useful information there.
    For example, my car is currently running on 245/40/18 tyres which have the same radius as 225/55/16.
    Can I help?
  • gord115
    gord115 Posts: 1,063 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What size were the original tyres and what size are the new tyres? Also the offset of the wheels may be wrong. If it is he can get his money back.
    I bought some for a citreon a couple of years ago and Halfords didn't know if they would fit. But they told me if they didn't it would be their fault and they would give me a full refund. Luckily they did fit.
  • aj3001
    aj3001 Posts: 730 Forumite
    Sounds like he went too big, or he needs uprated springs to prevent the car suffering from passengers
  • Throbbe
    Throbbe Posts: 469 Forumite
    As I understand it, if he made it clear what model it was for and didn't specify a larger size wheel, he may have a chance of claiming they're not fit for purpose.

If he asked for specific wheels, then probably not. He may be too embarrased to tell you he wanted them!

Also, is the suspension in good condition (and not modified)?

Apologies for generalising, but buying aftermarket alloys does suggest he might also go for lowering/larger wheels (and I'm a bit of a middle aged boy racer, so I'm not looking down my nose!)
  • jaws77
    jaws77 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What model 106 is it? Ones with flat rear aches will need them rolled out for tyres over 165 in width.
  • dan2002
    dan2002 Posts: 535 Forumite
    hi all just an up date ,went to the shop today and no joy ,they are now saying that they said the car might make a rubbing noise but he said it was rubbing a plastic part ,this is a lie I was in the shop and was told nothing because if he was told it would rub we would not have brought it,then we proved that it was rubbing the inside of the arch and he did say we were right,he then said he told us that the car might need to be modified ,another lie, told use nothing.He then said he knew someone who would grind the inside of the archs ,as far as we know this is illegal as you cant have a sharp edge on the bodywork.He then told us that he is selling wheels and tyres every day and knows what he's doing.Now to all I was with my son and we asked for a set of alloys to suit a 106 ,we did not ask for any particular size of tyre as he told us what we needed infact he said that he would get a 45 instead of a 50 lower profile and nothing was ever said about any noise or mods to this car ,We have now taken the wheels off the car .
    I have have told the shop I will give them 2 options ,1 replace the tyres with smaller ones or 2 give us the money back ,have been told that none of these options they are going to take ,so I have told them that I will phone trading standards tomorrow so anyone anymore advice as the wheels are less than 2 weeks old
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure